Monday, June 2, 2008

Well the shit has officially hit the fan

After weeks of tightrope walking between the two of them, I thought that things were calming down between my BIL Paul and my dad. Paul called me this morning, and I told him I figured Dad would blow off steam for a while, and then settle back down, because he wanted to see my nephew Brenden.

Paul called me this afternoon to say Dad had him served with a four-page demand letter that included an intent to sue for slander. So Paul is going to pay the money that Dad asked for, and then sever all ties with him. And unfortunately, I'm right in the middle again. Dad used things I talked to him about (during the course of trying to work out what happened) in the letter as basis for his threat of a slander suit. He also threatened to sue my sister for forgery. I feel terrible for having any part of any of this. Paul was pretty good about it on the phone with me. I think he understands that I was trying to help - plus he admitted to me that he was using me as a go-between when I had specifically told him I didn't want in the middle of this mess.

I just don't understand the way my dad's mind works. Yes, he's getting his money back. But he's losing a grandson over it. The cost is just too high. I understand wanting to be right. And my father was wronged. But sometimes it's wiser to be thought wrong than to be proved right and pay the price.

Paul is going to pay him. He says he can't afford for this to go to court. He is afraid he and Cindy could have problems with their medical licenses if it does. But since this has happened, he says the breach is irreversible. I understand how he feels.

No comments: