Sunday, June 15, 2008

I think, blessedly, I have turned the corner today

I was back up at 4:30am to take my pain meds, but after I took them I did sleep the rest of the night. I got up this morning hurting, but not quite as bad as yesterday. The Tylenol knocked the worst of it back. But I wasn't about to try to eat anything after last night. So I just drank and peed the morning away.

Mom was getting ready to go. She was doing laundry, packing her stuff up, etc. I went ahead and took a shower while she was here, and God bless the Neti Pot, some of the junk started coming out of my head. It hurt from the salt, but felt so good at the same time. I think I'll do the irrigation again today, but I'm breathing much easier now. I could tell that Mom would feel better if I ate something, so I ate some Jell-O and Cool Whip about 1pm. That went down so easily, I had her heat up that half a biscuit with some gravy, and soft scramble me a couple of eggs. It was like fucking ambrosia; the egg rich and decadent in my mouth, the gravy succulent and velvety, the biscuit pleasingly substantial yet soft in my sore mouth. Getting to eat that half-biscuit was like climbing Mount-fucking-Rushmore today. I was SO hungry, and didn't hurt nearly as bad as I did last night when I got done.

After futzing around for a while, and making some more Jell-O, Mom went on home, and I settled in to watch most of On Golden Pond, which I had never actually sat down and watched through. Surprisingly, I didn't sleep. I've had a big day, showering, eating, helping get Mom's bed packed up, and cleaning out the litter box, which Mom just couldn't keep up with.

I just gave my teeth a good brushing after taking my pain meds, and my mouth doesn't feel so disgusting. Today I feel like I will heal, and as if I can be sure nothing is wrong. I actually ate some butter bean puree just a bit ago, just because I thought I could. I did get it down, and was able to taste it, blessedly, but it tired my mouth out. I took my pain meds and will have to rest my mouth well before dinner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

He's BAAAAAAaaaCCK!

Totally stoked to hear your usual acerbic self again.... Hope the pain's manageable, Steve.