Friday, June 6, 2008

A Most Auspicious Beginning*

My trip down went off like a charm. Like a well-oiled machine. I got off work, and made BOTH lights on Pelham and straight out onto the highway. This is about the statistical equivalent of winning the lottery, being struck by lightning, and petting a unicorn while sitting in a field of four leaf clovers. I can't remember when the last time was that this happened after 3pm, if ever.

I got home, threw stuff in the car, and was there by about 8pm. I drove out through the country, the gentle sounds of Nickle Creek's Out of the Woods easy on my ears, my nose full of the rich smell of chicken crap, my loins thick with unspent seed.

I met a couple of nice guys from Atlanta at check-in, and it turned out they were staying in cabins very close to mine. Then coming out, I saw my friend Rodney on his way out to dinner. After I got settled in, it didn't take long to find some friends. I headed down to the mobile area, and lo and behold and lucky me, Rich and Tommy were there this weekend from NC! I really like them. They are really great and talented guys. I had called them this week to see if they were coming down, but they decided to surprise me. After a visit with them*, I found that Brian and his husband Scott (who I had not met before) were staying up near me too. Brian told me that Mike and Al were camping out (all the way across the campground) because they had totalled their camper on the way down. They bought a tent so as not to miss the trip. Troopers. I headed down the hill to find them, but when I got down to their site, they weren't there. But I met some other nice guys along the way*.

When I got back up to my cabin, I found Mike up with Brian and Scott. Al went to bed early, apparently. I also met Brian's friend Doug, who came with them. He's pretty cute, and a nice guy. I got pretty tore down tonight. I visited with Brian and Rodney for a while, then headed back towards my cabin, and stopped to talk to the Atlanta guys on the way. A little guy named Patrick, and his friend Rob. Rob had met a guy there named Barry. And Patrick's friend, whose name escapes me, and his boyfriend Danny. I cracked jokes and told stories until late, then kind of collapsed. It was a good evening, and a great start to the weekend. Brian is in a good mood, and his husband Scott is nice. I have good neighbors this trip too.

No comments: