Friday, June 6, 2008

An efficient morning

I woke up feeling like shifting things today.

I got up, did my pre-work stuff, ate breakfast, played a bit online (bought two new songs from Itunes), did some more packing stuff, getting things organized for tonight and tucking in things I had overlooked, and still got to work early.

I am SO ready to go - ready to drive through those gates and leave the world outside.

I have a whole ritual for going down, which my friend Len finds endlessly hilarious. It's kind of like following a recipe for a good weekend:

- Two days before I leave, I go shopping for the food and drinks that I'll take on the trip. I always take whole wheat high fiber bagels and cream cheese for breakfast, and some type of Bolthouse Farms soy protein drink. I usually take the Vanilla Chai Tea, but this year I'm taking Mocha Cappuccino since I wanted some coffee (I hope the whey protein doesn't mess me up.) I always take a bag of potato chips too, since that is a rare treat for me, and I LOVE chips. That's the night I decide what I'll be drinking for the weekend, since that's when I buy mixers.

- On the day before I leave, I put together a list of everything I'll need, and either pack it or get it together. I get as much as I can in the car ahead of time.

- After work the day I leave, I jet home, throw everything in the car, and go to the store to pack the cooler with ice. I always see how fast I can get on the road, because the sooner I get there, the sooner the fun starts!

- When I get to the exit where I leave the highway, I stop for dinner at the Taco Bell. Always the same one.

- Before I leave there, I put in the River's Edge music CD, and roll down the windows. It's usually cool enough to get some fresh air in the car. The drive out through the country is lovely. It reminds me of going up home to Wilkesboro.

- When I get there, I check in, get my stuff in the cabin the way I want it, pack a "visiting cooler" of drinks to walk around with, and then I go Shower Off the Outside World at the shower house.

- Friday night is for visiting and catching up, or meeting new people. I know a lot of the regulars. Everyone is partying Friday night, ready to start the weekend and pack as much fun in as possible.

- Saturday is for volleyball! I sleep as late as I possibly can, and take a nap if I can sleep, before I go down to the pool, since I'm usually there most of the day.

- Saturday night is dinner at the Berryman House, unless I am invited to eat with people.

After dinner the parties start. Some of them are fun, some less so. It's better if I have friends to run around with on Saturday night, or better still to sit and talk with and not have to go to a big party. Generally the parties are the same people there that are there every week, drunk and not actually all that interesting. But it depends on the party, and who is giving it, and who is there. They can be a lot of fun sometimes.

Sunday morning I am usually up before most people. If I feel like hanging around, I have some breakfast from leftovers, but generally I go ahead and start packing the car. I get all my stuff packed, then go to say my goodbyes, if people are up. Sometimes I go for a last shower at the shower house. Then I hit the road. If I'm feeling really decadent (or really hung over) I stop for an indulgent breakfast on the way home.

I love my Edge weekends :)

No comments: