Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am sprung from the joint

About 6:30am or so, the surgeon stopped by to check on me. He looked me over, pronounced me ready to go home, and released me! I'm thinking "Great! How soon can I get Mom over here?" My nurse though, told me it would take most of the day to actually get me out. Dammit. I settled in for a long and uncomfortable day.

But then, shift change. My new nurse was very sweet, and brought me breakfast. She also knew something the less experienced night nurse didn't know. When the doctor released me, they could take all that crap off of me. She proceeded to do so. Sheer bliss. I regained all my own limbs! And with all that crap off of me, the bed was surprisingly comfortable. I got to get out of the bed and go to the bathroom! I got back in, ate my breakfast, and called Mom. When she got there, I was propped up watching telly, waiting to go home, having just finished my coffee.

I just dressed and we left, after I got my last little post-breakfast morphine. I was home and in my own bed by about 9:30am. My throat was sore, but I'm thinking it was no worse than a strep throat, and I'd had a full breakfast that morning. Eggs, biscuit, coffee and apple juice. Full "soft tonsil" diet. I'm thinking this wasn't going to be so bad.

Morphine is wonderful stuff.

No comments: