Saturday, June 28, 2008

Trying to pace myself

And none too successfully. I decided to go over to the flea market this morning, ostensibly because I needed garlic, which I did, but mainly because I was in withdrawal, having not been in weeks. I walked the yard sale part, but didn't find anything. I did, however, get some Carolina peaches! Those of you who have only eaten grocery store peaches really don't know what a peach is supposed to be. Last year there was a late frost and it killed all the local peaches, but this year it doesn't look like that will be an issue. The peaches are usually better in dry years too. Smaller, but sweeter and with a better flavor. I am looking forward to my first real peaches since last summer!

When I got home, I lay down for a bit to cool off, and had an ice pop. Then I fixed my mushroom filling for the baklava. I rested while it cooled, and took a little snooze. When I woke up, it was time to put it together. Always a pain. Then I watched a bit of a movie before getting ready for the party.

I put the baklava in the oven, and then got ready and packed up.

By the time I got to Inman for the pool party, I was pretty tired. I smoked the first cigarettes I have since the surgery. The surgeon's handout says smoking will delay the healing process, but it has been two and a half weeks, and I couldn't show up without smokes. I had a couple of drinks too.

The baklava was a big hit - apparently several people had been hoping I would bring it, which was gratifying. I was afraid I had gotten too much butter in it, and it would be too greasy, but it was gone pretty fast. The food was really good. There was some excellent hummus that Ben had made - his turned out much better than mine ever does. There was also a really excellent marinated salad that Bill made. It was really yummy. And Justin made his delectable wee lemon cakes. Billy made a delicious blackberry wine cake that was really good too.

It was a toga party, and so the various guys had made all these fancy togas. I was about the only one in a standard Animal House bed sheet.

And then suddenly, it just stopped being fun. I felt really tired, and felt the beginnings of one of those bad headaches I get when I overdo it since the surgery. Also, it was like Noah's Ark yesterday. Everyone seemed paired but me. Ben was there with James, his beautiful lover, who just moved here to be with him. Justin was there with his conspicuously gorgeous boyfriend Heath. I held out until after the toga contest, and then decided I needed to head on out. Of course, that was just when the party was getting started. But I didn't feel like partying any more.

I'm hoping at least part of this is the surgery and over-doing it yesterday. I really probably shouldn't have made that baklava. That's about two hours on my feet. Also, smoking and drinking yesterday afternoon probably took it out of me. At any rate, it was good to get home and get to bed.

No comments: