Sunday, June 22, 2008

Chores and preparation

I got up this morning and watched The Letter with Bette Davis while I had breakfast. I ran out and got a couple of biscuits, and had some of Mom's homemade strawberry jam on one, and gravy and egg on the other. A capital repast.

After a nap, I got to work. There was a lot to do today.

I put a meatloaf in the oven, and changed and washed my sheets. While that was going on, my sinuses apparently started to drain. This stuff that looked like rusty water started pouring out of my nose. The handout that I had from the surgeon said to expect "spotting", but not this kind of deluge. The discharge got lighter, to almost clear by the end of the day, but was an annoyance.

I decided to lie down for a while, and have some lunch. I ate a meatloaf sandwich and watched Bear Cub, the last of my movies from the library. It is a Spanish film about a boy who ends up going to live with his gay uncle. A good movie, again not what I was expecting, but very surprising in it's unflinching look at gay life. There was no candy-coating here. All the characters had their flaws, and the uncle wasn't painted as a sexless "fairy god mother" as happens so much in the movies. And good for them. The ending was strangely anti-climactic and vaguely unsatisfying, but European movies frequently don't wind everything up as neatly as American audiences prefer.

After that, drainage or not, I had cooking to do.

I cooked some squash and zucchini with onion, lemon, and thyme. That turned out good, if a bit too salty. I was debating on what to do with the potatoes Mom left. Potatoes never seem to last well for me, don't know why. I couldn't see buying more stuff to cook with five pounds of potatoes laying around here. I decided just to smother-fry them with some butter. I added some carmelized onion. Then I found some canned milk left in the fridge from when Mom was here, so I poured that in with them. Usually I add garlic to them, but I had no garlic in the house, and really didn't feel like going out for any. Then I remembered an old Gourmet recipe I had made one time for potatoes and onions in rosemary cream sauce. It was hopelessly complicated, but had a good flavor. So I threw some rosemary in with my potatoes, and they turned out absolutely delicious.

While they were cooking, I cleaned out the fridge, and rounded up the dying flowers, and then took out all the trash. I HATE to throw out flowers. It always makes me sad. Michael always had to do it when he lived with me, but I don't have a flower-thrower-outer any more.

I've also almost finished the cookie basket now. I guess my throat is on the mend. It is still tender, but as long as I take small enough bites and remember to chew them well, I can eat pretty much what I want at this point.

After the usual Fox Sunday night lineup, I turned in. Big day tomorrow.

No comments: