Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another long day

Well I did manage to sleep until 5:30am this morning. Just as well, I suppose. I had time to do a few last minute things before getting ready for work.

The day went very quickly today. After a king-size brekkie of more guac and chips (no sense in letting it go to waste, right?) I headed in. I had several nice emails from friends, and heard from my friend Bernadette in France. It was good to hear from her, it's been a while. I spent the day putting out fires and trying to set things up to run smoothly while I'm gone. I left the office with lots of good wishes from folks there.

After work, I went by the library. I got some really great movies. They had The Letter and The Little Foxes, which was perfect since I am in a Bette mood. Also the A&E version of Nicholas Nickleby - sweet. AND they had a copy of Bear Cub, which I had been planning to rent. I got a lot of good movies in the Juvie section too - I'll have to look over there more often. You can check out 5 movies each from the adult and kid section, which is why I thought to go over there when I hadn't before. Plus they had a short story selection I'd had on back order for a while, with another elusive Charlaine Harris short story in it. It was a super day a the library for me. I got home, and was doing more stuff when Mom got here.

While I was trying to get Mom's car unloaded, people started calling. Miss Kat called. Always good to hear from her, and so sweet of her to call before. While I was on the phone with her, a guy came to the door wanting money. I always have such a problem with that. If I give them money, I feel like an idiot. If I tell them no, I always feel like I have just refused to help Jesus in disguise. I just gave him some money, and he told me God would bless me for it. But I guess he already has.

When I got off the phone and away from the door, I realized that Mom was wearing a soft cast. She hurt her foot last week, and didn't tell me about it. I was torn between loving her for wanting to come take care of me anyway, and wanting to kill her for not telling me about it. She swears she's fine, that it's just a bone spur, but she's limping, and at this point she probably wouldn't tell me if she was at death's door. It's really too late to yell about it now. She's here, and we'll just have to make the best of it. Mom called my grandmother to distract me, and I talked to her for a bit. Then she called my sister and I talked to her. Lisa thinks I'm nuts to have all this done at once. I was like "Do I really want to set all this up again??"

After we got her stuff in and I stopped having a heart attack, we dropped the car to be serviced and headed for dinner. Dinner was Capri's baked spaghetti, my traditional "last meal". As usual, the food was delish, and they have the best wait staff ever. They are all just sweet as they can be. I figured Mom would love the food, and she did. We had a nice meal, and I once again made a pig of myself.

After a trip through CVS to pick up a Father's Day card for my grandfather, and for her to meet my pharmacist (since she'll be picking up my prescriptions) we headed to the house. I ran through how various things here work with her, and we went through an incredible "care box" the women she work with had sent to me. It just amazes me how nice everyone is being. Makes me feel really cared for. We sat down to read the doc's tonsillectomy after-care stuff, which apparently I should have read before. Only one bottle of juice I bought is appropriate. Great. I was trying to not have Mom go shopping for sick food, which I know she won't let me buy. Oh well, that's what I get for being a man and not reading the instructions.

I washed with the hospital soap they gave me, and we got her set up for bed. I know I won't sleep much tonight. But I guess I'll sleep a lot tomorrow, so it doesn't really matter. I am SO thirsty, but no water after midnight. I guess I'll get my fill of liquids over the next several days. I'm supposed to drink a gallon a day.

No comments: