Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Surgery Day

I ended up just staying up the rest of the night. There was no way I was going to get a wink of sleep, and I figured I'd be sleeping all day today anyway.

I got Mom up at 6am, and we got ready and went on over to the hospital.

The hospital was really busy today, which made me nervous. After I got checked in, and got back with the nurse, they put me in a corner behind a curtain and just left me there. I was like in overflow - there were gurneys in storage in the area next to me. I could hear other people with their families, but no one brought mine back. After about a half hour of this, I just got up, held my robe closed in the back, and went to the nurse's station, and asked if I couldn't have my family back. They went and got them, and then started the process of getting me in.

One of the steps is that they read you all the procedures you're having done, and get your consent. One of the procedures I didn't recognize though. When I asked about it, this kicked off a whole series of complications, and I had to wait for an hour while my surgeon finished up his first operation of the day and came out to talk to me and run through everything he's doing today. It is a pretty extensive list. Anyway, my main deal was that until I gave consent, I don't get my happy pill. I wanted my happy pill.

I stayed back there, chatting with Mom and Dad (always a bit awkward since the divorce, but I was really grateful they were both there), until the surgeon could get free to come talk to us. Dr. John Phillips is a super guy, with a great bedside manner, I have to say. He showed no sign of impatience, and didn't act as if he had been called away from something. He came back, went through everything they were going to do, and answered all our questions. After that, it was time for me to go back.

So they're wheeling me back to surgery, and once again, no happy pill. They were telling me I'd get it when I got there. When I got there, they were still cleaning the OR, and the anesthesiologist showed up. He. Was. Gorgeous. Big manly-muscled, good looking guy with furry arms. WOOF. It may have been a good thing I didn't get the pill. Lord only knows what I would have said. They took me in and got me on the table, and no pill was necessary. He stuck something in my IV, and it was just like a light switch going off. And good for that.

***

When I woke up, my throat was killing me, and it was dry as a popcorn fart. I couldn't tell which was worse, the dryness or the pain, but they seemed to go together. But my head didn't hurt at all. That made me afraid that they hadn't done the fairly extensive sinus work they were supposed to do. Mom said I kept asking if they had done everything. Eventually, when I was awake and had my eyes open, I was able to get the morphine started, and that made things much better. I told the recovery nurse I loved her more than anyone except my mother and Miss Kat. Mom was in recovery with me when I woke up.

***

After being in recovery for a while, they took me to intensive care for the night. I was in and out when they were moving me, and I don't really remember it. When I woke up, about 5:30pm or so, they brought in my Mom and Dad for a bit, and then they left to go to dinner. Which was fine with me. I wanted to rest.

I slept until about 7:30 or so, and when I woke up, I made them put my gown and stuff back on me before my parents came. It was really hot, and they had these vinyl gauchos on that they put on you to keep you from getting blood clots. They are hot as they can be, and mine weren't plugged in. I made a deal with the nurse that if I put them on when the pump got there, he would take them off now, and was much more comfortable and cooler when my parents came in. They brought me some tea, which I was very grateful for. I have been charged to drink, drink, drink. I am told the better hydrated I am the faster I will heal. I took that to heart.

I was breathing better than I ever have in my life, and thinking this doctor was a genius. I got my dinner, which was full liquids today. A surprisingly delicious mushroom soup, fruit cocktail, a milkshake-like supplement, and some chocolate ice cream. Lactose intolerant or not, I ate it all. I hadn't had anything for 24 hours.

They all left about 9:30. I was drinking and snoozing off and on. Mom had brought my phone to me, and I sent some text messages out. I had been talking well when my parents were there, but had been advised to save my throat, which seemed wise. About 10:30, I went to sleep.

I slept about an hour at a time, waking up to drink and pee. This was a bit complicated, as I was tied to the bed. I was on an IV that was pumping me full of fluid, and was drinking tea, as well as having all that liquid for dinner. Since I couldn't actually get up and pee, I kind of felt like I had to go the whole time. That was working out OK though. I would come to, pee a bit, and drift back off. That went on until 4:30am. That's when they ended any real thoughts of rest.

No comments: