Saturday, June 21, 2008

I settle in for a long boring weekend.

I decided to take it really easy today, because I'll have chores to do tomorrow, and I really need to hit the ground running on Monday.

But I'm so bored. Billy is out of town with family, and Russ is in Charlotte at the Eagle tonight. Justin has gone to the beach with his family. I know I need to be here, but being alone so much has started to get to me.

I watched the movie Tokyo Godfathers today. It was good. Japanamation melodrama. Not quite what I was expecting, but a very colorful and entertaining story, if a bit heavy on coincidence.

I also watched the Keira Knightly version of Pride and Prejudice on TV. It was good too, but I like the A&E version I have better. I thought some of the dialogue was too modern in the Knightly version, and some of the scenes were rather silly - things that could never have happened in Georgian England. The scene where Darcy sweeps across the fields, his shirt open at the chest, his long coat flailing behind him. Romantic sure, but I can't see the real Darcy doing that. Also, although Keira Knightly did do a good job with the part of Elizabeth Bennett, I liked Jennifer Ehle better. Just a personal preference. I found Ehle's performance more believable as a real person. In some of Knightly's scenes, I felt she went over the top. I'm glad I saw it though.

I saved up my energy so I could go out tonight and haul off the recycling, and go to the grocery store. It isn't much, but it was good to get out of the house for a bit. I have been there for the better part of two weeks, and since Mom left - alone. I went by the Chinese buffet for some of the spinach puffs they make for dinner. I ended up getting all the ones they had out on the bar - they don't sell them by the order - which was about 7 or 8. Turns out that was plenty. They are really greasy.

I watched Caddyshack tonight, just because it was on, and I hadn't seen it all the way through before. It was OK, I guess, but I didn't find it to be the standard of movie comedy that some seem to see it as. Maybe it's a straight guy thing. Or maybe it was a 70's thing. Maybe you have to be on something to watch it. I just didn't think it was that funny.

No comments: