Thursday, June 26, 2008

My lousy memory

Work was work. Apparently I am destined to pull PODs all week this week. We had another big account go belly-up, and I spent a good portion of the day pulling PODs for the attorney. I don't see this going anywhere. The CEO has been put in jail for tax evasion, medicare fraud, and money laundering. The company was closed by the Feds. They have taken his mother's house, which was apparently used as security for something to do with the business's finances. With the IRS involved, no one else is going to get any money, but then my new boss is the Don Quixote of the accounting world. I suppose he'll learn in time. I also understand that we can't do nothing.

My step-mom called and invited me to dinner with her and Dad tonight, so I met them at Molina's. Molina's is one of their favorite places to eat, and right around the corner from Dad's store. It is a Mexican place, and the food is quite good, but I could do without the live music, which is incredibly loud. I usually like to be able to talk to the people I'm eating with. I eat by myself so much that company for a meal is a treat. The meal went pretty well. I amused them with stories of my surgery and recovery that they hadn't heard, and they were glad to see me. Most of the conversation was pretty amicable. We even got into my pescetarianism without their being disparaging.

I saw my lovely friend D'relda D'remus, his husband Mark, and his cousin Marty as I was leaving. I just love D'relda. I stopped and talked to them a bit before I left. Donnie has been really great about checking in with me during my recovery to make sure I was OK. He's a good friend.

The fly in the ointment was the Cindy and Paul situation, which is still rankling with both of them. Dad wanted to go on and on about it, and I really didn't want to talk about it at all. I did find out that Eve does know about the cease and desist letter he had served on my BIL, and that she signed it as well. They have decided it is something they were "forced" to do. I did tell my dad I felt like he had sold his grandson for $7,000.00, and basically closed the door on any kind of reconciliation, but, typical Dad, he basically said "So be it." He just has an incredible temper. And when he's mad, he is very short-sighted.

I finally did change the subject, and most of the evening went very well. They gave me a mug they brought me back from the Kentucky Derby museum that was quite beautiful.

I realized halfway through dinner that I had completely forgotten that Terry was coming over tonight. I hoped all the way home that he hadn't been able to come by, but of course he had. There was a get well card in the door. So I felt like a complete shit. But I called him back, apologized profusely, and it seemed to be OK. I hate I missed him though.

No comments: