Saturday, November 1, 2008

A very long day

AT&T woke me up at 8 fucking 12 am today, calling to ask me something about my stupid long distance. I was too semi-comatose to even cuss the woman out, but when the woman realized I was conversing in zombie monosyllabic slurred words, she said they'd call back. Of course then once I was awake, I was hungry, had to pee, etc etc. By the time I ate breakfast and finished off the Halloween candy, I was too awake to go back to sleep. Dammit. I told myself I'd have a nap later.

I had planned to finish painting the porch today, but after being out so late last night, I just couldn't get up for doing it. I was a bit hung over, plus the car needed tires. So I told myself I would do that first and get it taken care of. I showed up at Discount Tires, where they cheerfully quoted me a price of $720(!!!) for a set of Japanese high-performance tires. I told the man I did remarkably little Japanese high-performance driving. After much discussion, finally settled on a set of Coopers for $540 (still !!!). Apparently the Blue Bomber, my midlife crisis car, takes low profile tires. They are more expensive. And apparently tires have gone up a lot recently because of the petroleum thing. It's been about 4 years since I bought any. It was a pretty rude awakening.

While that was going on (I was not the sales-guy's friend because I refused to pay $60 for a replacement warranty), I cooled my heels at Barnes & Noble. I wanted to look up some Fire King prices, but they didn't have a Fire King book in stock. I eventually found what I was looking for. I also found a Depression Glass book that I really liked. It was very detailed. I'm thinking I may have to have one of those too. I am still LOVING that new Gene Florence book Justin gave me for my birthday though.

After the tires were done, I thought I'd ride over to the Augusta Goodwill for a goof, since I've scored there for glass before. Also, I wanted to clean out the boot of the car before the beach trip. No glass today though. Then while I was down that way, I decided to go through Southern Antiques over off Mauldin Road. I've been in there a couple of times in the last week or so, but they close at 6pm - sharp - so if I'm on my way home from work I don't have time for a good look around. I rummaged through the whole place today, but didn't find anything. (Notice how I haven't gone within a mile of a paint can?)

While I was there dana called and asked if I could come hang out tonight, and I said sure. Shortly after that, Joe called and invited me to dinner with him and Michael, so I said yes to that too. Then he called back and said Michael was getting off early, and wanted to have an early supper at 4pm. Since a) I hadn't eaten any lunch, and b) I had plans with Miss Kat and dana later, that worked out perfectly. But I had to shake a leg if I was going to make it.

On the way home though, I remembered that the antique place on Augusta near my house was having a "sale". I had seen the sign this week, and meant to go in for a rummage. It is a high-brow kind of place, but they have gorgeous things, and I was curious to see what a sale there entailed. They do have some good prices on some things in there, but it's a bit too high-tone for Depression Glass. They did have the most gorgeous set of English Blue Willow I've ever seen. I stood and wished for $1800 to buy it for a bit. Of course this put me behind the 8ball on time.

I got home, called Michael to tell him I was going to be late for dinner, and ran through the shower. It turned out they stopped in Old Time Pottery anyway, so we ended up at the K&W about the same time. We had a nice meal and a good talk, and then I headed on.

I went over to Russ and Billy's to see to their sick little geriatric Pomeranian Oliver, since they are in Columbia at Sir Michael's birthday dinner tonight. I had to give him his medicine and feed him. The problem was that the little shit refused to take his medicine, despite it's being wrapped in cheese. After reasoning and threats failed to work, and being unable to reach Russ and Billy on the phone, I finally had to result to force. I was as gentle as I could be and still get it down him. But I'm pretty low on his list of favorite people now.

From there, I went on the Miss Kat's. Lori was there too! We hung out and talked, played cards, and ate dessert. It was a lovely evening, and I really enjoyed it, but I had to leave about 11:30. I am just wiped out!

2 comments:

JLo said...

You're aware you called me Jason, right? Surely it hasn't been that long since we've hung out that you're forgetting my name. :P

thefabulousmrthing said...

Don't know where that came from, sorry. I fixed it. It was a very long day.