Friday, November 28, 2008

Best laid plans and all that

I decided that I was going to do my Thanksgiving food today, in spite of the fact that TCM was doing a Bette and Joan marathon all day. Surely I can get some credit for not succumbing to the ample temptation to sloth.

So I was elbows-deep in dressing when Joe called and invited me to lunch with him and Michael. I had a furkey (fake turkey) sandwich on the counter, made, that I hadn't had time to sit down and eat yet. I hadn't showered, the sheets were off the bed, and the mattress pad was in the dryer. I hadn't done the cat-box yet. Needless to say, I couldn't just drop everything and jet off. But I told them to go on to lunch and I'd meet them at their house later.

Two hours later, I was about ready to walk out the door. Finally. In the midst of tying up all the loose ends, Lisa called and I wanted to sit down and talk to her in a non-rushed fashion since we don't talk that terribly often.

After turning around several times (long story) I arrived at their house about 5:30. We talked for a while, and Michael cut me a piece of one of the most gorgeous, scrumptious coconut cakes I have ever sunk a tooth into. After catching them up on what's been going on lately (Michael's verdict on the H situ: "You are going to Hell. You are going to Hell in gasoline panties and a kerosene wig."), and a more complete tour of the house (I saw Joe's den today, me their house-mate Shawn{who is fairly toothsome himself}, and saw a bit of the upstairs) we decided to head out to do some shopping.

We went to Wal-Mart first, but I didn't see much I had to have. For the record, I did buy some dental floss, therefore selling my soul twice in one week - a record even for me. (Incidentally, I wonder how many months I have to spend in Hades for dental floss? If Persephone had to spend a month for each pomegranate seed, is floss measured by the yard, by the inch? I guess I'll find out. I guess it's a good thing they didn't have any of the big mega-rolls I usually buy.) I also got some crackers, a couple of decorative gift card tins, some gift boxes, and a pair of fuzzy purple slippers. They were $5 and I just couldn't resist. They look like I've either dis-embowled or kicked the shit (literally) out of a muppet. We then went to Goodwill (nothing but junk today) and K-mart. I did get Grandma Shumate's gift, so that's one more off the list. I noted that they had a large print calendar and a Bible quotes calendar, but not a Bible quotes large print calendar, which was a marketing logic that someone just egregiously missed. We went to Fatz for dinner, and I ordered some fish and was served a double portion of fillet of whale. This fish was enormous. Seriously, I was looking for a flenser to come walking out or a Greenpeace protest or something. I just asked the waitress for a box and dug in to the rest.

Joe' s tummy was hurting again, so after dinner we went back to the house and he went on to bed. Michael and I talked for a while, and before I knew it it was almost 11. Since I have to be up early tomorrow for the jockey lot, I headed on home.

No comments: