Saturday, November 22, 2008

An indulgent Saturday

A picture of the cool old Deco train I found


A picture from one of the front sections at the Anderson Jockey Lot


A picture of the water tower at the Jockey Lot, just because I don't think I've had enough pictures on my blog lately :)




I found this lovely Fire King Jadite tulip vase today in Anderson. So much for my foregoing the flea market because of Christmas. And so much for my not expanding my vintage Fire King collection. I really should have been Christmas shopping today. But I have just had a bellyfull of things I "should be doing" lately. And the house shows it. It is a disaster area. Sigh.

I have no idea what this thing is worth. I've seen it priced all over on the internet, of course. I figure it's worth the $10 I paid for it. I've seen them for $35 in antique stores.

***

When I woke up this morning, I just rolled around in the sheets for a while, luxuriating in the fact that I had no place I had to be. But then I got hungry, so I got up and made one of my favorite breakfasts, which I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand for: scrambled eggs with fresh spinach and Swiss cheese, buttered wheat toast, and French Vanilla french press coffee. Lovely.

After that, I decided to stroll over to White Horse Road flea market. I didn't find any glass there, but bought an assortment of fancy crackers from the gourmet food lady (I am always needing those for something during the holidays), and I found some Winesap apples - my absolute favorite for making baked apples. They are hard to find. These look like culls, but they'll be fine to bake. I'll also have some for my dressing, and some to take with lunch for next week. I can get a lot o mileage out of a half bushel of apples. I might also stir up a pot of crock pot apple butter. I called Mom today and asked her to send me her recipe.

I left White Horse glassless, however, and decided to head over the Anderson just for the heckuvit, even though it was 10 by then. On the way, I stopped at a yard sale, and identified a set of Waterford depression (the pattern, not the crystal) dessert cups and a Diamond Point creamer for a bemused woman. I didn't buy them because the Waterford was clear, and Diamond point was clear and a 40's, 50's, and 60's pattern. I love doing that. There is a TV show in there - called "Glass Hunter" or maybe "The Obsessionist", but Justin and I are the only ones who would watch it.

When I got to Anderson, the first thing I saw was this cool toy train from the 30's. The guy said it was a "Marks" brand. I immediately was thinking it was a possible cool Christmas gift for Rod from Mom, so I called them and sent some pics from my phone, but Mom couldn't figure out how to view the pics, and at $130 I think it was pretty much all the money. It was stamped tin or steel, and had some rust on it. Still, it was a very cool thing.

I did the whole outside section, and even in the full sun, it was pretty bleeping cold. It was 30 degrees F on the way down there, and that's unusually cold for here this time of year. I reflected that the Glass Bug is a harsh mistress. I stopped at the friendly antique store on the way back and had a good rummage, but didn't find anything for me today, although I found something I would have loved to buy for Russ. But I already have his present now. He is easy to buy for, but I kind of need to focus on everyone else - hello.

I ran through the grocery store on the way in, and picked up odds and ends. When I got home, there was a bottle of Pinot Grigio on the front porch. I know it has to be from H, since we were looking for the Sartori the other night at Whole Foods. There was a religious tract on the porch too, and I wondered if he left both. The church in my neighborhood leaves stuff on the porch all the time, but still I thought it was an odd coincidence. When I got inside I realized how bad the house was, and decided I would get cracking on it today, but not before lunch and a nap. I made a big spinach salad for lunch (yes, I have a whole bag of fresh spinach to use up), and then made a Knorr spinach dip out of a package I had thawed in the fridge. It had to sit for two hours though.

In the meantime, I turned on "Fox and Hound" and tried to take a nap. But the scene where the old woman has to take the fox, which she loves very much, and dump him out in the woods pretty much shredded my heart all to pieces, and I found myself weeping into the dishwater as I washed the lunch dishes. I just can't handle those separations where you still love each other. I was crying over the wedding scene in "Muppets Take Manhattan" last year. Haven't been able to watch it since. Sometimes that stuff just hits me like a ton of bricks.

Miss Kat woke me up later, calling to finish our chat from Thursday night, and we talked for a bit. But even after we got off the phone, I just couldn't get motivated. The house is so bad right now that everywhere I look it's horrible. It's hard to know where to start. So I decided to do an entry on my blog :) Probably the most organized part of my life right now, aside from my desk at work.

***

I had thought about visiting with Miss Kat and dana tonight, but a) I was really worn out (I think I may be trying to fight off my boss's Canadian Bug); b) I have a bunch of stuff to do tomorrow; and c) next week the gamut starts. Every December just ends up being a marathon, and I won't have a weekend to my self for the next month. So I made a couple of sandwiches and stayed in, stirred the apple butter, and watched the National Geographic dinousaur marathon on television.

4 comments:

Rhen said...

Oh, the image of you crying while doing dishes just breaks my heart.
However, I'm glad you had a nice indulgent day. You deserved it.

thefabulousmrthing said...

It happens. You work through it and move on.

Anonymous said...

you need sex with a hot, sexy ,eager ,sane , normal bottom make that SEX WITH A HOT,,,,,,,,, SANE ,,,,,,,SEXY,,,,,,,,, EAGER,,,,,,,,,,,ATTRACTIVE ,,,,,,,,,,,BOTTOM or a spanking lol Im not sure

JLo said...

I would watch the HELL out of that show.

I'm caught up on your life! Now, if only I can catch up on mine...