Sunday, November 23, 2008

Man, I am TIRED

My beautiful new flannel sheets! Aren't they just darling?

I was up at 5am this morning anyway, so I just decided to go ahead and peel the 65,000 apples I bought yesterday and get them ready to go. By the time I got them all peeled, cored, chopped, and in the pot, it was time to go to the flea market. (I had to get potatoes and onions for Thanksgiving, OK?) I didn't find any glass, but got my taters and onions, and some bananas for lunch this week. (None of the apples were really in pretty enough shape for cut fruit.) I picked up a couple of movies, two of the Harry Potters (including the first one, which is my favorite). I had been meaning to buy them, but the wide-screens are hard to find, particularly of the first one. I also bought a copy of The Triplets of Belleville, a quirky little French animated movie that Michael's step-dad Bill turned me on to. I had been meaning to pick up a copy, but was very surprised to see it at the flea market.

When I got home, I had breakfast and a nap. I slept for about an hour. When I got up, I looked around the ruins of a once fairly civilized home. One of the problems has been junk build-up that makes it hard to straighten up. I hauled junk, paint, etc to the out building. Having such a small house, everything has to either be in the way, or stored inaccessibly. After that, I got out my jar horde and didn't think I had enough for the apple butter.

I loaded up the car, hauled off the recycling, and started looking for jars. None at Kmart, BiLo, or Big Lots. I called Wal Mart, and they didn't have any either. Apparently they clean them all out of stock at the end of the year. If you want to put up apple butter, you're just SOL. I got some lids and decided to just freeze the rest after I ran out of jars. I'm making two batches. One is traditional, with cinnamon and cloves. One is just for fun, with candied ginger, some margarine, and Mexican vanilla.

When I got home, I put away the luggage from the beach trip (I know, but it has to go in the attic in plastic bags, and its a total pain), and started washing. I dusted the living room and the bedroom. I vacuumed the rugs and dust mopped the wood in the living room and bedroom. I took out the trash. So the basics are done, and I can let H in the house Tuesday without feeling like white trash, but there is so much more that needs to be done. The problem is that by the time I get the basic stuff done, I'm too tired for deeper stuff. I guess it will still be here when I get ready. Traditionally I deep-clean the living room Thanksgiving weekend before putting the Christmas tree up, but I didn't do it last year. I really need to do it next weekend. I hope I get inspired.

I finished up my small batch of fancy apple butter, and tried to jar it, but the lids I bought were the wrong size (grrrrrr), so I just stuck it in the fridge. I did some laundry, changed my sheets, and put my snuggly new flannel bear sheets on the bed. They didn't pill up like my old ones did in the wash. I hope they don't. I didn't feel like going any where, so I just had a frozen pizza for dinner, and watched the end of The Color Purple. I love that movie. After that I watched a bit of The Triplets of Belleville before turning in. Fox cancelled the line-up tonight, dammit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

make that mind blowing, earth moving, nasty, dirty,70's disaster movie ,in the rubble SEX lol