Friday, November 21, 2008

Well it was Friday anyway

Today was just one of those kind of "meh" days.

I got my write-offs finished and off to California for signature. I put my account review together and had a meeting with my boss. I did all my call-backs.

I finished up my latest Donald E Westlake novel "God Save the Mark" yesterday, which was actually written earlier in his career. It was wonderful, as are all of his books. Intricately worked as a Chinese puzzle box, and each turn delightful. I have a new book that Anna loaned me last week. It's really excellent. It's called "Queen of the Oddballs" by Hillary Carlip. It's a quirky coming-of-age story by a lesbian who has apparently had a pretty amazing life. It reminds me of "Running With Scissors", but the writer is much more alive, and less addicted to aggressive ennui.

I spent a fucking hour getting home from Pelham Hell. Apparently it was "wreck day" today and no one told me. On the way in there was a pile up on the other side of the highway that backed traffic up for five miles behind it, but of course the people on my side had to slow down to rubber-neck, and so backed it up for a mile that way. On the way home tonight, every road was blocked. There must have been another wreck up on Woodruff Road. South Carolinians drive like retarded lemmings.

I still feel kind of yukky. My boss told me that he is sick, and has of course been coming in all week, so I hope I'm not coming down with some strange Canadian bug he brought back with him. (Speaking of strange Canadian bugs, the Evil One is down from the Canadian office this week. I saw her unexpectedly today on my way to lunch and she about scared me half to death. They really should put out warning flares or something when she's around to protect the unwary.)

So basically the best thing I can say about today is that it's Friday. I am really glad to have two days off. The last three days at the office next week should be fairly calm. I have only the audit stuff left to do, and it should be mind-numbingly dull, which is better than being screamed at; and I realized today that I have to prepare for a mediation on Dec 4. That should be short but sweet though, since the guy involved is insane, and there is very little chance of any real negotiation going on.

Geez, I am writing way too much about work. It'll calm down after the mediation is over. My desk has just been nuts lately.

When I (finally) got home, I popped a frozen pizza in the oven and then pretty much levered my head back like a Pez despenser an pushed it and the leftover chips and dip down my throat in front of the tube. There was nothing on (for this I pay for cable?), but by 8pm a Family Guy marathon came on, and I was happy.

1 comment:

Rhen said...

Rest, relax, refresh yourself, Steve. You've had a busy month and you deserve it. :-)