Saturday, November 29, 2008

Best laid plans, again**

When I woke up last night (as per usual this week) it was raining. When I woke up again this morning, it was still raining. So that pretty much ruled out the jockey lot. Dammit. As I was straightening up a bit, Robert called and we chatted, although I had to finish getting ready before H got here. I had read some news on Robert's blog that would have devastated me, but he seemed to be taking it in stride. And good for him. But I wanted to talk to him for a bit about it since I was concerned.

H showed up like Santa Claus. He brought cheese and crackers he picked up at Whole Foods, another berry set of Ruby Red "Coronation" from his attic (he had seen mine in the cabinet, and recognized that he had the same glass) including the big berry serving bowl and four of the little individual bowls, a piece of black amethyst glass, two Family Guy DVD sets he had found on sale and picked up for me, and a pumpkin pie. It was all really sweet, but kind of overwhelming. I thanked him, but told him he really needs to stop bringing me stuff. It was very nice, but I tried to explain that he doesn't need to buy me stuff or bring me glass for me to want to see him.

We had coffee on the porch while we decided what to do. We finally just decided to go Christmas shopping, so we headed for Laurens road. We grabbed a bagel at a cool little deli I know over there since neither of us had eaten. We both needed to go to GameStop, and with that accomplished, wandered over the Stein Mart. I found the most adorable lounge pants that had little bears all over them. Ordinarily I avoid fleece because I am so hot natured, but for chilly weather like this I thought they might be nice.

After that we went to the mall, since we were heading in that general direction, and there was a sign guy outside saying there was a jewelery store having a going out of business sale. But after doing Penney's, Aeropostale, and Bath and Body works, I was pretty malled out and we had forgotten all about it. I also caught a side view of myself in the wall mirror at Aeropostale, and especially next to those cute boys working there I just looked like orca. I was very discouraged. It was also very crowded and hard to move in there, and I got a bit claustrophobic and just overwhelmed. We ran by a restaurant to get my gift certificate for Mom and Dad (the reason we were on Haywood Road to start with), but they weren't open.

I was tired. So was H. I'm fighting insomnia as usual, and he had been out late with a parishioner's family. The parishioner had died last night. So we were both pretty whooped. H came back to the house and had a glass of wine, and I cut up some of the cheese he had brought and did a little cheese and cracker plate. I also slipped into the lounge pants, which are WONDERFUL; warm, light, and soft as love. I may be a fleece convert. But H didn't stay long. He went home to take a nap, and I had a friend coming over.

My friend Jay was in town from Atlanta for the holidays, but came by my place to see me for a bit before he struck out for home. It was really good to see him. I liked him when he lived here, but he was in a relationship at the time. Shortly after he and his lover moved to Atlanta, they broke up, but it was too late then. He had already left his job here, and he has no intentions of coming back. Still he is a really sweet guy and we get along really well. Plus he's hella sexy. We spent the afternoon snuggling and talking, and then he left for home. But not before I called boyfriend dibs on him should he decide to move back.

By the time he left, I had worked up an appetite, and decided to finish cooking the Thanksgiving food I had gotten. I like furkey sandwiches better than the meal itself, and I like my own stuffing, and the only place I can get veggie gravy is at home.

I finally remembered to get my knife Mom got me for Christmas out of the car. The last Forschner knife I bought slit through the holder, the bag, and the back of the knapsack I had it in on the way home just from the vibrations of the car. They are that sharp. So I had secreted this one in the side pocket of the boot, and kept forgetting to get it out. It is a pleasure to use. I just love those knives.

I mixed up a green bean casserole and popped it in the oven with the dressing. The furkey was already done, and just had to be warmed. While the stuff was in the oven, I peeled, cooked, and mashed the potatoes, made gravy, and sliced up the cranberry sauce. It wasn't terribly hard, but the kitchen was a disaster area when I got done. After I ate I cleaned up and then had pumpkin pie. Everything turned out good, but I played with the green bean casserole, and part of what I did didn't work so well. I only make one a year, at Thanksgiving, because everything in it is canned. It's comfort food, but not something I want all that often. I had also forgotten to pick up the Parker House rolls this year, but with all the starch I had, I didn't really miss them. White bread and I just don't get along any more anyway, even though I love those little rolls.

By the time I was done cooking, cleaning, and eating, I could just feel the sleep pulling me down. It was early, but I decided to go on to bed. I haven't been sleeping well, and have to be able to hit the ground running on Monday to do the year-end numbers. I need to be well rested. I popped in a Family Guy DVD (yay!), took some sleeping pills, and turned in.

No comments: