Saturday, May 31, 2008

The best intentions go kaput

Well I really intended to get some cleaning done today. I really did. But not much got done.

I left off coffee on the porch, and made breakfast. Pancakes, snausage, and eggs with tea. I decided to eat a good breakfast so I wouldn't have to worry about stopping for a while. After that, I went on over to the flea market, which was once again nothing but junk. Since I was so full, nothing looked good to me, and I didn't get any produce either.

When I got home, I decided to take a nap, since I am so drug out from not sleeping well last week. I put in Sense and Sensibility to go to sleep by, and did sleep for a while, but then got into it, and ended up watching it, then going back and watching the parts I missed while I was asleep. I just love Emma Thompson in that movie. When she cries, I cry. I'm becoming a senitmental old fuddy-duddy, and I just love movies where everyone ends up happily paired off to the perfect guy. I suppose I enjoy it vicariously if not in real life.

After that I wanted more costume drama, so I put in Jane Eyre with Samantha Morton and went in the bedroom to roll my sleeves up and get started. I did get some heavy-duty dusting done - things I hadn't done in a while. But I got distracted doing little things. I cleaned my jewelery. I cleaned the brass with catsup (it really works just like on How Clean is Your House? on telly). Then I decided I had to eat some lunch before I went to my spa appointment.

The plan was I would leave at 3pm for my 4pm appointment. They encouraged you to get there early to socialize and partake of light refreshments. I stopped at 2 to eat lunch, and get cleaned up. Well after lunch, I decided I needed to lay down a bit more. I still felt drug out. The next thing I knew it was 3pm. So I dashed though the shower and headed for Miss Jan's for what they were calling Le Jour De Luxe.

It was interesting. When I got there, there was no one there that I knew, which surprised me. But Miss Jan was nice, and I came in and sat down and talked to her a bit. She had a Sarah Brightman concert DVD in, and we talked a bit about opera. After she shared with me that Ms. Brightman was her idol, I kept some of the more controversial opinions of the arts community regarding Miss Brightman's talent and career to myself. She did sing "Nessun Dorma" from an impressively soaring stage. I had never heard a soprano sing that aria before, as it is of course written for a tenor. Sadly, I think it lacked. Either the soprano range or Ms. Brightman's voice just didn't have the power needed to really project those big notes at the climax of the song. But then I have a recording of Pavarotti singing that at the height of his talents, so my ear is a bit jaded, perhaps.

After a few moments, and some kind of awkward h'ors deurves served by two make subs (they were on high protocal, and were to kneel with all offerings, and serve the plates for us - plus I'm sure some of my straight guy weirdness was going on) I was told my manicure was ready. The woman who gave me my manicure was very nice, and we chatted as she did my hands. Her Sir was at the table at the same time I was, and he was very nice and personable, and we chatted about this and that while our hands were seen to. My favorite part was the hand massage afterwards, which was great. After that, it was on to the pedicure station. I have to say, this was my first pedicure, but it won't my last. I LOVE having my feet played with anyway, and having them soaked in warm vibrating water, then pumiced, then massaged with lotion was WONDERFUL. The sub doing all this was called Liz, and she was really perfectly service-oriented. She blended into the background, communicating what was needed in a quiet voice, or by gesture. I really did feel served.

I went to the massage table feeling good and relaxed, but the best was yet to come. The woman who did my massage was from Columbia, and very much into high protocal. She had been doing the manicure for the other guy while I was sitting there. I have to say, as with many of the people I have met through LOCK, she wasn't someone you would probably look at twice on the street, but was really nice, obviously doing something that she enjoyed and that resonated within her. She also had magic hands. She gave me a great massage that was relaxing, but she didn't hurt me. I'd had two other massages before. One that was great, and one where they guy hurt me so bad I had to stop him. This was another great one. She worked out knots, but I was in heaven. It was lovely. If I could have purred, I would have. She is gay, and in service to a woman in Columbia. Lucky woman.

So I left, fat, happy, purry, and greasy. I had oil all over me from the massage, but I really didn't mind. It was off to Russ and Billy's to feed Oliver, their little special needs dog. They have three, but Oliver is a little Pomeranian. He's slightly imperfect. He has problems walking, among other things. He always looks like a wind-up toy that is just about to stop moving. Sometimes he gets over on his back and can't get back up. He has an enlarged heart, and has to have special food. He's also spoiled rotten. For some reason, though, he knows that stuff doesn't work on me, and he doesn't do it to me most of the time. He has Russ completely trained though. I mixed his food, set it down, and went to make a phone call. When he saw he wasn't going to be begged to eat, he ate pretty well with no fuss. I had a little puppy time, and loved on him some, then loved on the others as well before I left.

I had talked to Miss Kat and dana about visiting with them tonight, since I knew I wouldn't be getting anything else done after the massage. They were going to make banana splits. So I grabbed some dinner, showered off the oil, and headed their way.

It is always good to see them. We had a very enjoyable evening talking, smoking, eating ice cream, and laughing. It was a good visit. About the time I was feeling really sleepy, Miss Kat said she was too, so I left. On the way home, though, I got the munchies in the worst way and went through Wendy's for a blizzard and some fries. I almost never do stuff like that. Especially at the weight I am right now. I was thinking ruefully, even as I was eating it, that I would regret this next week when I'm at River's Edge.

No comments: