Sunday, May 25, 2008

Some kitchen time

Today was a bit odd. Russ had talked about going to the flea market today, but I didn't really figure he would be up in time to go. I was up pretty early, and went on over to White Horse by myself. Again, there wasn't anything there. I picked up some produce, including a sack of potatoes, since I was craving potato salad.

Russ called about the time I was eating breakfast, and said he and Billy were still in the bed, but would call me back when they decided what they wanted to do today. I took a nap, since they were as well, but when I woke up, I still hadn't heard from them. I went on to the store, and then started cooking.

I usually hate making potato salad, but I was in the mood to do it today. I played with some left over green beans from last night, trying once again to nail the recipe they use in the cafeteria at work (which is REALLY good), and got very close. I finally got a line on the secret ingredient from a friend that works there, and I will be able to do it now. I ended up making a huge batch of potato salad. I used to have to make at least 5 pounds of potatoes for Michael and I, or it just didn't last any time. It is way too much for me, so I took two pounds over to Russ when I went over there tonight.

Miss Kat called while I was in the final stages of cooking. She was doing the discussion group today, and was calling to see if I would be there. I had intended to go, but then forgot all about it because Russ and Billy had been talking about going to Georgia today. As it was, I was elbow deep in potato salad, the kitchen was a smoking ruin, and I had to shower and change before I could go anywhere. There was just no way.

After I did all that stuff, I headed over to Russ and Billy's. We hung out and talked for a while, then went over to this little Columbian place I had seen for dinner. Dinner was very good, and quite an adventure. I had a whole fried Tilapia with plantain patties, rice, and veggies. We also had sweet corn cakes with cheese for an appetizer. After that we went out for coffee. Russ is a devoted Starbucksaholic.

We went back to the house and watched The Golden Compass, which I hadn't seen on big screen. It was EXCELLENT! I thought the movie was beautifully cast and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is the only movie I have ever seen from a book that looked exactly as the book did in my mind while I was reading it. I really enjoyed it. I need to read the next one so I can go see the movie.

It was a lovely evening.

No comments: