Monday, May 19, 2008

A "Dom Drop" day

I woke up this morning feeling terrible. I don't know how much of it was allergies and how much of it was just camp out withdrawal, but I just felt like crap. Also, I was exhausted from sleeping so poorly for the last week. I usually schedule a day off after an event like that to give me some time to get things back in order and make the transition, but I have been saving all my vacation time lately for the surgery. Surgery or no, I didn't make it to work today.

I mostly slept, although I did get some laundry done, and finished putting away all the things I took for dessert service to the camp out. I also made some veggies that were left over into some soup to eat on. That was about all I could manage today.

There is an actual name for withdrawal from BDSM after an event - it's called "Dom drop" by the community. It's partly your body's withdrawal from the endorphins that BDSM stimulates (you have a lot of them, and kind of "fly" on them during an event, especially during a scene), and partly depression about having to go back to the "real" world. It used to be REALLY bad when I first got into the scene - it was like the aftermath of stuffing yourself on something really rich and overly sweet. That's the best way I can describe it. But it hasn't been that severe the last couple of things I've been to. Either that, I have planned better in the past. Either way it was a bad day today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you prevent Dom Drop? I unexpectedly found myself in the Dom role with my partner (am naturally and preferably submissive) over this past weekend. I went back to work yesterday and felt okay and BAM! today I get home from work and am a freakin mess! I can't stop crying, I'm having fibromyalgia pain, I'm exhausted and needy.

thefabulousmrthing said...

I'm sorry you're having a hard time. I don't know of any way to prevent Dom Drop, unfortunately. It's one of those things that just happens. It sounds as if this is your first experience. It does tend to get more gentle with time. Also, once I realize what's going on that usually makes it easier for me to deal with it. Best of luck, and congratulations on what had to have been a great scene :)