Monday, May 12, 2008

A visit from Justin

Windsor "Diamond" pitcher in Pink, circa 1936-1946


Windsor "Diamond" cream and sugar in pink



Windsor "Diamond" butter dish in pink


Well Justin decided to come tonight instead of Tuesday. It kind of threw my preliminary schedule for the week off, but unbeknownst to me, it was going to be blown all to hell anyway.

I had planned tomorrow night as my "easy" night (in which I was going to prepare only one dessert), but then realized I have a food day at work on Wednesday. Since I just brought doughnuts the last time we had one, if I don't bake a pound cake this time, there could well be a riot.

I baked the pound cake for the camp out tonight. I figured I could make that first, since it is no problem to freeze them (Mom even says she thinks they are better after they are frozen), but for some reason, I decided to vet a new recipe. Apparently I have lost my freakin mind or something. The cake turned out great, but the cook time was wrong for my oven, and I scorched the top, which is of course the best part. I can cut off the scorched part and use it for the trifle, but I really wanted to do a lemonade cake to use as the base for the trifle. Sigh. If I do the pound cake for work tomorrow, and then bake the lemonade cake, then do two desserts Wednesday night (an un-scorched pound cake and the eclair pie), then I can concentrate on the flourless chocolate cake Thursday night. That's going to be the most work, since I'm making ganache for it as well. That's a pretty ambitious schedule though, and I can't afford any more mistakes.

I had to make lunches for this week, so I made Succotash, which Justin seemed to find endlessly fascinating. Sadly, I was not up on the frequency with which it is served, or the amounts that are eaten yearly in the US. That turned out fine. I packed him up some to take home.

We did get some time to visit and talk, which was good. I also got to buy him dinner for his birthday, although since I was tied to the stove I ended up ordering pizza. But it was good to spend some time with him, and talk about what is going on with him. I miss that little shit now that I don't see as much of him.

We also opened the glass that Terry E sent. It was really NICE! He sent me a sugar bowl with cover, a creamer, a butter dish and cover, and TWO of the pitchers I wanted in pink Windsor. He also sent me two little pink footed Fostoria Americana bowls. I was really tickled, and of course having Justin there to open the stuff with me and exclaim over it just made it like Christmas. I already sent Terry a thank you email, but haven't had a response. I will have to find a better way of expressing my gratitude. He is such a sweet man.

No comments: