Friday, May 2, 2008

Justin's birthday is coming

On Sunday. But he went out to dinner with Russ and Billy tonight. I missed that, because I went to dinner with Mom and Dad for her birthday, which was today.

We went to Mimi's Cafe. I hadn't eaten there before, but they apparently eat there frequently. The prices aren't as high as I had been led to believe, but the food is pretty fattening. Most of the entrees hover around a thousand calories, although there were a few lighter options. After looking on line, I was glad I had. The crabcakes meal has 1,900 calories! Which is outrageous, but apparently the trend in restaurants now. I know the menu at Romano's Macaroni Grill has only two entrees with less than a thousand calories. They even have a child's dish with over 2,000 calories in it. I know that when you go out to eat, it's supposed to be a treat, and you might not watch as closely as you ordinarily do, but many people are eating out frequently now (since most people don't cook anymore), and it's just crazy to me how fattening the food is. Anyway, I'll get down off that now. I've been feeling really fat lately.

The food was good, and they seemed to be in pretty good spirits. I was a bit worried, because this would be the first year that Mom would have a birthday where she probably wouldn't hear from Cindy after the big falling-out they had this year. Cindy has always been her favorite, and that's why I decided to make a bit of a fuss this year. Since her birthday is so close to Mother's Day, I usually just do it all at once then. I took flowers and a card, and would have baked a cake last night if she hadn't had oral surgery yesterday. I was studiously avoiding the subject of Cindy at all, and then Dad brought it up. Most of the actual fighting has apparently taken place between Dad and Paul, my brother-in-law, and he wanted me to read some insulting email he has written intending to send it to Paul. I just told him I didn't want to be in the middle of it, and that he shouldn't send it. I just don't think it is a good idea to extend the fight and cause yet more ill will. Of course Dad won't listen to me, but it's kind of become a tradition for me to advocate for less hostility before another episode of family drama. Kind of like singing the national anthem before a demolition derby. I could tell Mom was pleased that I gave a little extra attention this year though, and that was a good thing.

After that, I went on to Russ and Billy's to hang out with them. I gave Justin his birthday card, since his birthday is Sunday, and he is going home to Clinton York (sorry Justin) to see his family. It was a nice evening, but not a late one, since he and Russ have to work tomorrow. We played Spades for a while, which was great. I haven't played in a while, and I really miss it. That is one of the things I miss a lot about being in a relationship. I miss having a card partner. It's a lot harder to find someone to play cards with when you're single. You have to find a partner, or your hosts feel obligated to do so, and it's just awkward. But I really love to play.

1 comment:

JLo said...

York. Going home to York...

:) I had fun playing Spades.