Saturday, August 9, 2008

An unexpectedly pleasant day.

"Cloverleaf" 4" dessert bowl in green by Hazel Atlas, circa 1930-36


I had kind of blocked today out to sleep, which is what I usually do after a sleep study. Surprisingly however, I actually slept last night. I took an Ambien, so I will pay for it later (Ambien gives me nightmares the night after I take it), but it was worth it to not have to lay there in misery last night. I am SO glad that is over. Hopefully this will be the last one.

When I got home around 6am, I was still a bit groggy from the drugs, but got on the computer and had an email from Justin, from before he left for work. He invited me up for tea today, but I got in touch with him and asked if we couldn't do lunch at the fabulous Thai Taste. He agreed, and it was set.

Since I was going up there anyway, and Justin wasn't free until 11:30, I decided to go through Barnyard flea market up in Duncan. I thought I might run through White Horse road as well, but I needed to eat some breakfast, and since I was going out for lunch, I decided to make it. By the time I got through with that, it was too late to do both, so I just headed for Duncan. As a compromise for not having coffee on the porch, I had a car mug of my best home brewed hazelnut to sip in the car on the way up.

Of course, since I am broke and don't need to be spending the money, I found glass everywhere. I got a 7" Queen Mary bowl for $10, which surprisingly seems to be about all the money on it. I also got two 4" Cloverleaf dessert bowls for $4 each, and they are valued at $20 in my old book. Sadly, one of them has two small chips on it I didn't notice when I bought it. Still, it's probably worth what I paid for it. I didn't have any of that pattern, and I've always liked it. I also got a copy of the movie Ratatouille which of course I just loved. Cooking and Pixar together - what's not to like?

I also found a gorgeous vintage sofa I would have killed for last year - and at a fantastic price. It was killing me. I wouldn't even have to have it re-covered. And the woman only wanted $75 for it! This was after I spent $800 on the one I bought last year, having it re-covered. I was dying. I seriously thought about buying it anyway. But then I have two sofas already (Dad and Eve are giving me their old one this month), and would have had to get rid of one. I also thought about the problems with getting it home. I then called Justin for his vote (thinking he would probably vote for acquisition, as is his wont), but he was a surprising vote of dissent. Taking that for an omen, and since I really didn't need it, and since it would have messed up a good portion of the rest of the day, I let it go. I'm sure I will kick myself for it later.

Leaving Barnyard, I headed on up to Justin's and we went out to lunch. Thai Taste was as fabulous as ever, and it was SO good to see Justin and catch up. We went back to his apartment afterwards and had a good visit. It was just like old times. We talked about books, boys, work, school, and family. To quote Forrest, we were just like peas and carrots again. When I left, he had cleaned out his fridge and gave me a bunch of vegetables and loaned me a whole bag of books to read - that "Twilight" series they are making into a TV show, and which I had been wanting to read.

I had resisted the veggies because I felt like doing some shopping on the way home, but I decided I could make a few stops anyway. I stopped at an antique place that has a really good selection on the way home, but that I seldom go in. They had a set of blue Bubble glass I would really like to have, but I didn't really have the money to shell out $36 for it right now. And I refuse to put glass on a credit card. That is Crossing A Line that I shall not cross again.

I went by the Good Will store then, and dropped off a bag of stuff Justin gave me to take for him. I went in the store, and immediately found a Fire King "Philbe" refrigerator dish lid for $2. That is the second piece of that I have found in a second-hand shop. Apparently all those "loaf pans" I have seen on line are really refrigerator dishes. I don't see a listing for a loaf pan in the pattern listing I have. Justin also loaned me his Collectable Kitchenware book, since he isn't collecting right now. The second miracle of that store was that I found a pair of Ralph Lauren jeans that fit me beautifully for $7.50. That is just unheard of. I wasn't even going to try them on, since I loathe to shop for jeans, but since there was a cool pair of cargo pants I wanted to try, I took the jeans too. Lo and behold. They also make my ass look great - which is practically a miracle of modern engineering. So I'll have them to wear for the Augusta trip in two weeks - bonus! Husbands on the hoof.

By the time I got home I had a full car and I was bushed. I unloaded and put stuff away, then straightened up the house a bit and did some laundry. I threw Ratatouille in the DVD player, cooked up the okra, squash, and zucchini I had for dinner, and put the cucumbers in to make Korean refrigerator pickles out of them for Billy. They are his favorite, and Russ said something about my hanging out with them tomorrow evening. My best intentions of cleaning out closets today fell by the wayside. I was really tired.

No comments: