Monday, August 18, 2008

It's the cheese, stupid


Well I figured out what was wrong with my queso - not enough queso. I knew that the white cheese dip they serve in Mexican restaurants was made with White American cheese, but I didn't know that's basically all it is. Just cheese, a bit of milk to keep it from going immediately solid when you pull it out of the microwave, and some chopped pickled jalapeno peppers if you want them for heat. That's it. No wonder mine didn't taste right with all the vegetables, white sauce with cheese carefully melted in, etc. I tried to make it too fancy and it just turned out wrong. So after work, I went and bought more White American, and some chopped pickled jalapenos at the grocery store, and went home to do triage on my dip. It turned out OK. It's too thick now. But at least you can taste the cheese in it. And I'll know next time.

I am reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I had been wanting to read the series, and Justin gave it a big build-up, but thus far I haven't been terribly impressed. It's OK. It's just kind of like Judy Bloom does Anne Rice. The characters are all pretty juvenile - the story takes place in high school. Or I should say fictional high school. All the kids seem to be pretty nice, and they're all having a super good time. I don't remember it as being that much fun, but then it wasn't for me. I'm halfway through the first book. There are 4 or 5 of them. I'm hoping some of the characters start showing some depth soon. The protagonist doesn't do much execpt be clumsy, blush in embarrassment, and be alternately tongue-tied, dazzled, or pissed off by her vampire love interest. Plus after knowing him for two weeks, this 17 year old has already announced that she is "unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him". Yeah, I kind of threw up a little.

I'm doing laundry this week, getting ready to go out of town. I had to wash all those shirts I got down out of the attic, since they have been up there for seven and a half years - they're a bit musty. I have to decide what I'm wearing this weekend too, and pack it up.

1 comment:

JLo said...

Well, if you feel that way now I can promise you that it's not going to get any better.

Sorry!