Sunday, August 3, 2008

Shopping and cooking*

"Queen Mary" sugar bowl in pink by Hocking, 1936-39


Sunday I got up and decided to go see a guy I know in Anderson. After that, since I was already down there, I went on to the Anderson Jockey Lot. Of course, since I didn't have any money, there was a lot of glass down there today. I found two pink Queen Mary sugar bowls. One was at a table for a seller who I know prices things high - I didn't even ask about the price. They also had a crystal Royal Lace sugar bowl, but I already have one of those. Going on a bit further, a regular yard sale guy had another pink Queen Mary sugar priced with an oval pink Manhattan creamer for $3. This one had a couple of flea bite chips out of the ribs, but I bought it anyway. I would have taken the creamer for Justin, even though it was pretty chipped up, but it was pink, and he doesn't like the pink glass. So I paid the guy the full $3 (I should have bargained down), and just took the sugar bowl.

Going on down the hill, I found a Block Optic cone sherbert and berry bowl for $1 each. I bought them. They were just isolated pieces this woman had found in her sister's house after she died. She knew they were something, but didn't know what they were. I talked to her a bit about them when I bought them. Some people hear the word Depression Glass and automatically think they have something worth a fortune, but these were just odd pieces of a pattern that isn't that expensive. She told me to enjoy them and sent me on.

That was it for the glass for the most part, except for some crystal pieces I didn't want, and a woman down there who has her stuff priced at full retail. I got some fruit and veggies and came on home, since it was really hot by this time.

I got home, loaded up the recycling, and as a reward for hauling that off, I treated myself to some spinach dip and about a gallon of sweet tea at a Mexican place I like. I walked in with a book, to see another guy there, about mid 50's to early 60's, also eating alone and reading. I wonder if that is me in 10-15 years. They seated me right across from him, so it was kind of weird - like a glimpse into my future. But I started reading, and he left.

After lunch I went home and tried to sleep for a bit, but no dice. I ended up watching Showgirls again. I can see how it has become a cult classic with lesbians. I find it fascinating how unremittingly horrible it is. Plus I'm sure they like all the gratuitous boob shots. I think it is hilarious how they drew in animated "tops" on the girls for TV. I love watching the tops shift around to keep the boobs covered. There is an anniversary edition out with commentary by John Waters. I am dying to see it, but not sure I want to own it. But I will admit, I watched it through. Again.

After that, I got it together and decided to get some stuff done. I straightened up the house a bit, got cleaned up, and went to the library. They finally had the second Aurora Teagarden mystery in and on hold for me. Then I did the grocery shopping. I felt like I needed some green leafies, so I am having caesar salad for dinner next week, and I made a spinach, potato, and parmesean casserole to eat on for lunch. It has leeks, broccoli, and onions thrown in for good measure. That ought to fix me up on greens for a bit. I turned on Sexy Boots on BBC America while I was cooking and doing laundry. I am pretty pumped that I get BBC America again. I'm not supposed to on the cable package I'm on right now, but I found out last week by accident that I am getting a bunch of extra channels. I'm watching them, but this may well undermine my decision to go down to strict basic cable at the end of the 6 month trial period. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

I ate dinner watching the Fox lineup, and then went to bed. I have a major week ahead. I'm getting my hair cut Wed night, I have the training classes this week, month end to finish, and to top it all off - that @#$%&*)!! lack of sleep study Friday night.

No comments: