Sunday, August 17, 2008

A really busy Sunday

Lots to do today! I got up, started laundry, and ran to the flea market for vegetables. I had called Russ after not hearing from him, but the rain last night had given him a migraine. He is very sensitive to changes in barometric pressure.

There was almost no one at the flea market because it rained heavily last night. Plus there were tons of people there yesterday. They had fresh cherries, for which I spent way too much money. I love fresh cherries better than almost anything. I got some heirloom tomatoes too, from a very nice Hispanic woman who didn't speak much English. I felt bad, because one of the regular flea market guys came by, talking quickly and scamming her out of free fruit. It was obvious he knew she didn't understand half of what he was saying, and was just going along with him because she was too nice to stand up to him. That made me mad. To make things worse, I'm pretty sure she under-charged me for the things I bought. I really tried to go back over it with her, but I think she was so rattled she just couldn't follow what I was saying. That made me feel as bad as the jerk that came through first. I went back by to get a melon on the way out, and I was glad to see her husband was back. He speaks better English. I buy a good bit of my vegetables from them now. They are always very nice to me.

On the way home, I ran through the grocery store to get the stuff I couldn't get at the flea market. I came in and started cooking. I made a big batch of espinaca con queso. I figured if I was going to eat it anyway, I may as well eat it homemade as to pay restaurant prices. My queso, however, leaves something to be desired. Even though this batch has a pound of cheese in it, it doesn't taste cheesy enough. I'm going to have to go to one of the copycat recipe websites and find out what trick it is that I'm missing. Mine is really bland, in spite of my getting chemical burns on my fingers chopping peppers.

When I got done with that, I fried some rice. I had it leftover from last week. I haven't made any fried rice in a long time, and had forgotten how good my recipe for it is. It turned out really good. Like date show-off good. I'll have to remember that for future reference.

Then I had to get cleaned up to go to Plato's Closet. It was a MADHOUSE. The store was packed with people, and there were piles of clothes lined up out the door. The waiting time to have your clothes gone through for purchase was 2 hours. I just decided life was too short, and hied myself hence to the Goodwill. I gave them 5 30-gallon bags of clothes. That was just the old stuff I couldn't wear. I still have way too many clothes at the house. I'm going through them again next year to do a major toss of things I'm not wearing. It's probably also about time I went through the kitchen cabinets and did a toss. I need to replace the shelf paper anyway.

I ran by the library on the way home, and dropped off my books, and then by the Publix downtown to get the stuff I can't get at the grocery store near my house, which doesn't carry soy milk. Bad idea to go to the store thirsting to death. 30 minutes later, I emerged triumphant with $30 worth of juice, soymilk, and seltzer.

I was so tired. I just had to lay down for a snooze when I got home. I was back up at 5am this morning, after being out late last night. Russ called after about 45 minutes, and asked me out for dinner tonight, and I was glad to go. Billy is spending a bunch of time on the road right now, updating his certificates and stuff, so he's gone a lot. While I waited to hear back from Russ about dinner plans, I threw a pasta salad together. I had been wanting to try that new recipe I got from work. It turned out pretty good, but not as good as theirs. I'm going to have to play with it. Still, I was pretty happy with it. It ought to be good. I paid seven fricking dollars for a jar of Kalamata olives to go in it.

Russ invited Miss Kat and dana to go with us, but they declined. I'm going to have to go by and see them this week. It has been too long since I've been over there, and I have a book of Miss Kat's I need to return. Plus we're out of town next weekend.

Russ and I went out for pizza buffet and gorged ourselves. I had been wanting pizza for a while. While we were there, a church men's group or something came in - we couldn't figure out what the deal was. There were a bunch of men of all different ages eating together. So we just window-shopped while we ate. After dinner we ran by Starbucks, and by Russ' new shop so he could check the progress of the workmen, and show me around a bit.

I brought Russ a copy of a Mama Mia CD I burned today. When I was up so early this morning, I went online and found the order of the songs in the movie and burned discs for both of us, and I labeled all his tracks for him in iTunes. He went through his closet and loaned me a leather vest to wear next weekend. I'm really looking forward to the Trident Nights leather run. He also went through the belts and gave me a couple. I want a khaki canvas belt to wear with shorts. I don't know if I'm going to be able to wear the one he gave me, but I have one now. He was also able to fix me up with a new CD player for my bathroom, after I mentioned that the one I had in there doesn't really work any more. Russ is the only person I know who would have a spare CD player LOL. He also gave me some home grown tomatoes, since for some inexplicable reason I didn't buy enough today for the week. I don't know where my mind was.

Interestingly, I also had a very nice call from a guy named Thom tonight. We have been talking online. It's not like I haven't talked to anyone on the phone lately, but he was so courteous that he really stood out. I hope I get to meet him. The down side on him is that he is really allergic to cats. But we're not getting married yet. Hmmmmm.

And then I was off home with all my new stuff to get ready for tomorrow. Back to work. I'm already living vicariously through next weekend! I can't wait for Augusta.

No comments: