Friday, August 29, 2008

Invited to Miss Kat's*

Today was pretty much close to a red-letter day, for a work day.

I heard from Mitch! I was so excited. Unfortunately, his father had a heart attack after the time we met, and that's why I haven't heard from him. He invited me to lunch today, but I couldn't go. Also unfortunately, he is at the beach this coming long weekend. I had really hoped I would get to see him again, but it was not to be. Hopefully he will call me next week. He says with his dad his schedule is crazy, which I can understand, but I'm hoping things will settle down a bit and we'll be able to go out. Or stay in. Or something.

Miss Kat called me as I was leaving work, and said that dana was upset that she missed me this week. I of course couldn't let dana feel neglected, and went over to visit tonight. We had a lot to talk about, what with Sarah Palin being added to the Republican ticket today and all.

Miss Kat and dana are both fiscal (and somewhat social) conservatives, and because of that have a tendency to vote Republican, even if they don't identify as such. I, of course, am a big ole bleeding heart liberal Democrat, but it takes less to be identified as such in SC. Since I don't agree that all the queers should be lined up against a wall and shot, I am a liberal here. I have taken political position tests though, that show that in saner areas of the country, I am kind of a moderate. At any rate, I enjoy having the occasional evening of discussion on the issues with Miss Kat and dana. Tonight's discussion was interesting, since I was arguing a pro-choice position against two women who are anti-abortion. Miss Kat did say she believes in the right to choose in theory, but that she herself could never avail herself of that choice.

That came up because I believe that McCain's gambit to draw dissatisfied Hillary Clinton supporters to his camp with the addition of Palin to the ticket is going to fail. This because feminist Democrats are pretty avidly pro-choice as a whole, and Palin is avidly anti-abortion. I can't attack her bona fides on the issue - the fact that she knowingly carried a Down's Syndrome baby to term shows unassailedly that she walks the walk. I just think that any boost to the ticket will come from previously un-excited evangelical women, rather than ex-Hillary voters crossing the line. I also wonder how much of the core constituency is going to be turned off by a woman on the ticket. The polls will be interesting. If anything substantive comes out of the ethics investigation in Alaska though, they are screwed. They just can't afford a whiff of scandal on the ticket after all the stuff that has come to light in the last couple of years.

Anyway, we eventually changed the subject to less controversial issues, and just enjoyed each other's company, drank tea, smoked, and consumed an entire pan of delectable oatmeal cookie bars.

It was a lovely evening.

No comments: