Sunday, April 6, 2008

What a great flea market day!

Sylvan or "Parrot" 10.5" grill plate in green, by Federal Glass Company, circa 1931-1932


Wow. Major find today. I didn't think there would be many people out today. Usually on overcast muddy days, it's pretty deserted. But since it rained all day yesterday, people were anxious to get out and SELL stuff! And good for me!

I warmed up by finding two blue bubble bread plates, and two saucers with cup rings for 0.25 each, so I got them. That woman had bought a bunch of box lots at an auction, and offered to let me go through the rest of the boxes in her truck. I did, but didn't find anything I wanted, although she had some cool stuff. She said she has more bubble glass she will bring for me to look at next week. She was really nice. I tried to tell her a bit about the stuff she had, but my knowledge outside of Depression Glass is pretty limited.

Then as I wandered through the other section, I saw the Parrot grill plate. Usually people that have this know what it is. It is fairly rare, and one of the more expensive Depression Glass patterns. The story is that a designer vacationed in the tropics, and was inspired to create the design, but Federal wasn't happy with it. They felt that there was too much open space on the pieces, and that utensil marks would show too easily, so the pattern was only made for about a year. I paid $5 for a grill plate that is old-book priced at $32. Mine does have a small chip on the edge, but is still well worth what I paid for it. When I was looking online, I noticed these pieces don't seem to be selling for book value. Probably the high prices have driven off people from collecting this pattern.

I ran low on money, and had to go get more to complete my produce buys, but with deals like that, I don't mind making a bank run at all!

No comments: