Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Living through books, but trying other stuff

Well I can add another man to my short list of perfect men. This one is wholly fictional though, instead of only partially. This one's name is Shean McClendon, and he appears in the Charlaine Harris short story from Night's Edge, called Dancers in the Dark. Charlaine writes good love scenes, I'll give her that, but the scenes in Dancers are above and beyond. Maybe it's that he is a beautiful Irish vamp with red hair and a treasure trail. Maybe it's that he's a gentleman. Maybe it's that he can ballroom dance beautifully. But lordamercy that man made my heart flutter. And he's only in a short story. I'm hoping she can't lay him down, and writes more of him for me. Sometimes she does that.

For the record, my other perfect men may as well be fictional, for me:

Seth Green is just beautiful, and a lil pocket boy, which I like. From his choice of roles, I think he probably has a great sense of humor, some integrity, and a different outlook on life that I would appreciate. I don't think he's all caught up in his own fame. But of course he is rich, famous, in California, and reportedly straight.

Simon Pegg is straight AND lives in the UK. Plus he's married. To a woman. But he's smart, and funny, and can laugh at himself. He shows an underlying sensitivity in his acting roles, that I'm thinking must at least have a grain of truth. I'm probably the only person who watches "Shawn of the Dead" and gets a heart rush from it. His yawn is cuter than a bucket of puppies.

So at least I can read about Sean, right?

***

You'll no doubt be relieved to know that my new tea pitcher finally arrived today, so I'll shut up about it. The weird part was the color. I had really wanted a blue lid, but the blue lid was $3 more, so I sucked it up and tried to be a grownup and order one with an orange lid. When it got here, they actually sent me one with a yellow lid, which I had looked at (because my old pitcher had a yellow lid), but which was even more expensive from other sellers. It's like the universe had decided that my tea pitchers must have yellow lids.

I have got to get out more.

***

On that note, I did go to the pizza trough (Stevie B's) after work for dinner. I stuffed myself while I read about mythical perfect men with fantastic bodies who are also lovable, single, and dying (or dead already) for the right simple homespun girl to come along and be the object of their every waking effort and devotion. Not too ironic, or unrealistic. For the last month, I have felt like my life is like the first 15 minutes of the movie Romancing the Stone. The pre-adventure Kathleen Turner part.

***

Dad called tonight. They are now saying that Grandma Shumate may have only cracked her hip, so they may not operate or do a hip replacement. She will still be on bedrest for 4-6 weeks though. As badly as her muscles have atrophied already, we don't know if she'll actually be able to get back up after that amount of time. Still, this is better than we thought it was going to be.

Dad went in for his surgery today for a sinus polypectomy. He says it went well, and he feels pretty good.

I talked to the surgeon's office today, and they are calling the insurance company to get approval for my surgery. The tentative date is set for June 11.

Lord, we're all falling apart.

***

I did talk to another Match.com guy tonight. His name is Kipling, and he is an artist. Aside from his nomadic lifestyle and grain allergy (he is a raw foodist), he is at least a smart guy with whom I can hold a conversation. He has lived in Italy, and is still almost constantly on the move. There is a part of me that thinks that sounds wonderful, and then there is my home-and-hearth-bound Virgo majority that is horrificated. When he started telling me about how the visualization techniques outlined in The Secret enabled him to meet James Earl Jones, I have to say it was kind of the last straw for me. He's a nice guy, and sounds like he'd be a hoot and a holler to hang out with, but probably not my soulmate. Sigh.

No comments: