Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Hat Party 2008

A picture of me in my hat at the parade of hats.

My hat. This year's theme was "Tropical", so my hat was "Tropical Punch". Those big red things on the top are boxing gloves that have been fabulized. The base was a real cut glass punch bowl.


The back of my hat. This shows the punch bowl base. The prize I won is in this pic too.


Is over for another year, and unfortunately, Most Original continues to elude me. I did place third in that category, so I have now placed second and third for Most Original, and it's turning into one of those "always a bridesmaid..." situations. But as always, it was a FANTASTIC party, and it was lovely to see everyone. Eddie Crane brought a pound cake that was like the Helen of Troy of desserts - kingdoms would fall for it. It's always good, but Lord, this year it was practically illegal. Most things that good are in this state.

My inner ring for the hat fell BACK out again tonight, but fortunately, it was after the Parade of Hats and the voting, so it didn't matter so much then. I won't be keeping this hat. It will go to work next week, and then to the spring campout for LOCK, because I will take it to show Myz Kitten; but after that, she's history. Too damn much trouble went into it to not win! I'm done with it.

Each year, there is a magic moment at the hat party. We all know each other so well, and there are some years that it's the only time we're all together. Some years, when the weather is nice, we drag quilts out into the yard and look up at the stars, just talking and enjoying each other's company. This year it was too cool for that.

But later in the evening, I was sitting out on the large screened porch. Golden lamplight pooled on the porch and ran off into the yard. I could see Jim and Dan'l's sister Karen dancing together through the kitchen window. They weren't really doing a set dance, just moving together in pure exuberance, smiling at each other. In the glider across from me, Karen's son had his head in Rick's lap, the glider rocking, the two of them covered in a blanket. It was lovely to be there, and be a part of it all. I felt safe, happy, and loved. That was the golden moment this year for me. Would that we're all together for many more.

No comments: