Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I was so bad tonight

I went to find hat fabric tonight. And I ended up buying it from Wal-Mart (I did check Hobby Lobby first, but they had nothing that would work). And I was supposed to bake a pie tonight for BB, but didn’t feel like it. And since I was up there anyway, I stopped at the all-you-can-eat pizza trough on Woodruff.

After that, I got to go to Big Lots, which I had kind of been saving as a treat. I love to go to Big Lots. But I usually spend way too much money when I go. Fortunately, being stuffed to the gills worked out great for me there. I was so full, I wasn’t tempted to buy a bunch of novelty end-of-run food stuff like I usually am. I don’t know why extinct potato chip flavors and failed Betty Crocker mixes thrill me so (other than of course that ALL potato chip flavors thrill me), but they do. As it was, I corpulently waddled in, got what I needed, and waddled out. At least it kept me from spending too much.

The problem with buying cool stuff at Big Lots, of course, is that there isn't any more of it. I am currently using the best hair gel I have ever used, but I got it there, and they aren't making any more of it. Pity. I'm going to have to switch off.

In other news, my personal life seems to be looking up a bit. Maybe.

I am meeting a guy for a drink Friday night. He seems nice, but there are complications there. First, his life is so full I really don’t think he has time for a boyfriend. He is in numerous plays. That’s great for him, but frankly, I have been an office widow before. I don’t think being a theater widow would be much better. Plus he has three teenage kids. I have never been around any but my nephew for the weekend – I don’t know that I am ready to be a step-monster. And yes, I know that I don’t have to be, but that doesn’t matter. Any step-parent is a step-monster to the kids. It doesn’t seem to matter how good you try to be to them. His are at least apparently through the worst of adolescence, thank God. But of course I’m thinking way down the road. Why am I meeting him? Well I need to get out there. If I keep eliminating them all up front, that could conceivably never happen. Plus, I was really not thinking about Michael seriously when I went to meet him for the first time either, and that worked out pretty well for a while. It was the most significant relationship I have had (to date anyway).

I may have a guy coming down from Asheville to see me this weekend too, Dan, whom I mentioned earlier. He is a very sweet guy – I’m thinking maybe too sweet for me. When we talk, I always feel kind of like Maleficent, about to devour an unsuspecting Cinderfella.

But I may scare them both off anyway, so this is all premature. I’m supposed to call Dan tomorrow night to talk about stuff before he decides whether or not to come. Down. The mountain. Oh forget it, you know what I mean.

No comments: