Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Jockey Lot with Lady D!*

I was up early again this morning, and after waiting until 10:30am, decided to head on over to see a friend of mine. I know Lady D is not a morning person, so I had no idea when they would call. I got in touch with Billy about 11:30, and he told me that they were headed to Anderson. I was already pretty much there, so I just found a table and poeple-watched for an hour. Because it was overcast and there had been a sprinkling of rain this morning, there was almost no one in the yard sale section of the flea market, but the inside vendors were there, and Lady D wanted to shop.

When they got there, the first item on the agenda was food. No one had eaten, and we were all starving. We ended up trying this little taqueria I had been meaning to try forever - it always smells heavenly. The problem, of course is that it's pretty much impossible to get anything veggie at that kind of place. What I really want is some veggie tamales, but there is no place to get them around here. Russ and I ended up eating huge tortas - kind of the Mexican answer to the submarine sandwich layered with guacamole, tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, onions, salsa, and beans (Russ's also had seasoned grilled flank steak on it). I had a quesadilla as well.

After that it was shopping, shopping, shopping. Lady D LOVES to shop. We did the whole inside of the flea market, which is no mean feat. I was also carrying all her stuff, and on about 4 hours of sleep. We didn't end up leaving until about 3:30pm, and by the time we left, I was all in. It was a lot of fun though. Lady D is lots of fun to be around. I was more respectful of her space this trip. The last time I got on her nerves hovering too close, trying to be attentive. I'm reading the Marketplace books again before the camp out, so of course I'm wanting to be Chris again. I spent the time trying to be companionably and conversationally close when strolling, giving her space when she was shopping, but always being handy to take any newly acquired items out of her hands. She did buy one heavy statue that was getting even heavier by the end of the trip, but it was well worth that to spend some time with her and gypsy.

After they left to head back to Atlanta, I headed home and collapsed. I slept for an hour or so, and then got up and headed out for errands. I had the cooking to do, and went to the library. Usually at this time of year, I'm working fresh veggies back into my diet, but I ate a lot of veggies this winter, and all I have wanted lately is pasta. I really wanted chili mac, so that's what I decided to make. I experimented by adapting my mother's chili recipe into chili mac, and using TVP rather than soy crumbles to make it cheaper. It turned out pretty good. So I have lunches for this week, and I'm eating salads for dinner next week. Not a diet decision, I just couldn't resist organic spring greens on sale at Whole Foods friday night. I usually gain weight on salads, since I love salad dressing so much. I love croutons too!

So finishing up the cooking, doing a bit of laundry, and cleaning up the kitchen pretty much rounded out the evening.

No comments: