Friday, March 1, 2013

A post in which it is month end

The first thing I realized as I turned the calendar over to the new month was that I had completely blown off Lisa's birthday.  Hadn't even crossed my mind until today.  I sent her a text.  She was nice about it.  It doesn't help that she is pretty impossible to buy for.  I used to send her chocolate, but now she gives up sweets every year for Lent, so that is just like temptation for no reason. 

Things went surprisingly smoothly today at work.  I got the reserves done, and afterwards my brains were tapioca of course, but that's nothing unusual or unexpected.  It's too early for things to really melt down yet, but I am encouraged.

As usual at month end the day flew by in huge chunks, most of which I spent with my head buried in my computer.

After work I had plans to take Rhonda to dinner at Carrabbaha's to get my free appetizer, but I saw on the way to pick her up that it was carmageddon on 85.  Since I would rather just buy the appetizer than go back anywhere near that mess, we changed plans and just went to Irashiai.  I had been craving sushi, and Rhonda was not adverse.  She actually stepped up to the plate tonight and ordered a sushi roll (!), and seemed to enjoy it.  You go Rhonda. 

We ran over to Petsmart to get some cat food, since I was out.  I knew Rhonda wouldn't mind riding with me.  Then we went by the grocery store since she needed to go.  I picked up the stuff to make spaghetti for lunches next week, since I have (once again/eternally) been craving pasta. 

By the time we did all that, and I got her home, I was ready to head home to bed myself. 

On the way home, I called Bill.  I didn't want to get Lee in trouble for taking down the posts yesterday when I had been the one who initiated it.  Bill was not mad at me, but obviously still bristling with indignation and resentment against Jake.  He told me that Lee had gotten in touch with him yesterday about the posts, and that he had agreed to let Lee take them down.  So points to Lee for being a diplomat.  But Bill was at great pains to explain to me how much this didn't affect his life, etc etc.  Methinks the lady doth protest way too much.  But that isn't any of my business, and thankfully Bill wasn't upset with me.  As usual, my thought was to minimize damage, and if I did wrong, I did it with the right intentions.  I think Bill understood that.  Sigh.  Why can't we all just get along? 

I know the other side of the coin from love is hate - nothing makes a more bitter hatred than spoiled passion.  That makes sense.  But at the same time, I've always thought that if you love someone and care for them, you should at least be able to wish them no harm after it's all over.  I've been snarky about Gavin since he hurt me so badly, but I realize that a) that was partially my fault; b) he is what he is, and it's really my fault that I didn't see that; c) that wasn't really love; and I've never wished him any harm.  And of course Michael and I helped each other through the breakup.  As devistated as I was, I can't imagine doing that in an acrimonious way.  Folks is hard. 

No comments: