Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A post in which I get the night off

When I hadn't heard from Eve by 10:30am about dinner, I knew something was off.  I was right.  It turns out Dad is sick, and they cancelled dinner tonight.  I do try to see my dad every week, and I usually enjoy it, but it did feel kind of like a snow day to have the evening unexpectedly free.

Today the Supreme Court was reviewing Prop 8.  On the one hand, it's exciting times to be in.  Facebook was full of red HRC signs, and people posting pics of them in the red shirts and stuff.  On the other hand, it's like Valentine's Day all over again, in a way.

The court is widely expected to issue a narrow ruling that applies only to California, unsurprisingly, since they are reportedly now concerned with being seen as 'activist judges' - too freakin' late after they gave the election to GW Bush in 2000, and then gave the country to the corporations in Citizens United (easily one of the worst Supreme Court decisions in my lifetime - unbelievably even WORSE than Bush v. Gore).  NOW you're going to worry about being activists?? Really?  On the other side of the argument, I have read that Justice Anthony Kennedy seems to be concerned about Bowers v. Hardwick, and the effect of such a bad decision on Justice Lewis Powell's legacy.  He reportedly may be concerned about being on the wrong side of history, given that recent polls show growing support for gay marriage.  So the motivation might be as much vanity as anything else, but whatever it takes right?  But the expectation is that the court will duck and cover, and that all this kerfufflel will result in little - which would fit right in with the way the entire government works these days.  

I've been so out of sorts lately, I posted a pity party earlier in the day.  The only person that commented on it at all was Brian, who wanted to go at me for writing anything about black people.  Apparently he feels that being black trumps any research ever done about black people and their societal trends; and that his personal belief in something about black people makes it so.  I wasn't buying it, and told him so.  We have a black president now.  I no longer accept the race card. 

But of course it did upset me.  I am always upset by discord.  When I was younger, I used to throw up after my roommate and I argued, which he thought I did just to manipulate him. 

Getting out all that relationship (or lack thereof) frustration though, did make me feel a bit better.  It was kind of like lancing a boil.  Sometimes I have to write this stuff to get it out of my head.

I talked to Lisa today, and tried to strategize the incredibly complex mechanics of getting her and the kids to Asheville to see Angela the weekend of the 6th, and to see Grandma Shumate sometime soon.  I told her I would go - I haven't seen Grandma since her birthday last October.

After work I went by Aldi to pick up a few things, but they let me down today.  They had only one thing on my list, and I wasn't going to wait in line just for that.  So I went across the street to Publix.  I wandered through the aisles, basically just luxuriating in the extra time.  I found several things I have needed to buy and kept forgetting, like a fresh battery for the dog-zapper (that bitch next door's dogs have gone into overdrive on the barking, I guess because it's spring, although goodness knows it doesn't feel like it *brrr*).  I emerged $50 later, triumphant, and headed to the house. 

I ate left-over pizza for dinner, and thought about playing with some of that pizza dough from Publix that you can buy in the deli, as opposed to buying the pre-made crusts.  I need to look into the costs of that.  I figured up that I paid about $7.50 each for the pizzas I made.  That seems not so great when you compare it to Little Caesar's $5 'hot-n-now' deal, but when you consider that I made spinach and feta pizzas with fresh spinach and all the toppings I wanted, not so bad.  The spinach and feta pizza at Paisano's down the road (which is admittedly excellent) is $15 for one.  I will be so glad when I pull out of this little financial slump, and don't have to worry so much about what everything costs again.

I messed around online until bedtime.  It was a fairly uneventful evening.

No comments: