Tuesday, March 19, 2013

A post in which things go a bit better

I was up at 3am with insomnia, and nothing I tried helped me get back to sleep until about fifteen minutes before the alarm went off.  Sigh.  There was nothing to do but get up and start the day.

I was pretty discouraged going into the office, but once I got there, I got settled in and started getting things done.  By the end of the day I had the slides done for the meeting, had finished all my write-offs and had them signed, done all my contacts, gotten a settlement sorted, answered all of Alan's questions from the Twit Meeting, and gotten both new Canadian accounts all checked in.  It was a busy day, but I had gotten a lot done.

Eve had called me today about coming to their house for supper.  She was cooking, which was just fine with me.  I have enough fixin's for four hoagies, but I have five lunches to do.  Whenever I eat there, she sends the left-overs home with me because they don't eat them - the food just gets thrown away.

Tonight's supper was even more extravagant than usual.  A 9x13" crab and shrimp 'Newberg' casserole!  It was huge.  There had to be $60 worth of crab alone.  She wasn't happy with the way it turned out - it wasn't creamy enough for her.  It was a little loose, but she hasn't put any filler in it (pasta or potatoes) to soak up any of the juice.  It was wet enough that the bread crumbs she put on top wouldn't brown, but it tasted fine, and was accompanied by baked potatoes (butter, fresh chives and shredded cheddar to top), macaroni salad, carrots a l'orange, brussels sprouts, and crescent rolls.  It was quite a meal.  And there were eclairs for dessert.

After we ate until we hurt, we adjourned to the den.  She caught me up on her trip to Florida, and I told her about the weekend (the expurgated version, of course).

I went home with at least a pound of crab and shimp casserole, which I will make into a pasta dish for next week's lunches and freeze, along with Easter baskets for Ava and Cole.  I was thinking that Cole was 18 now, and really, an Easter basket?  But Mom still buys me one, and I decline to state my age, but I am older than 18.

That brought back a nice memory for me.  Mom always buys me Reese's Eggs for Easter, and she used to put them in my room when I was visiting before I woke up, just as if the Easter Bunny was still coming.  One year I heard her come in and literally hop to the bed.  She knew I could hear her, and we both just started laughing at the silliness of it.  It was so sweet, and it made me think about how much my mom loves me, and how much I love her.  So I called Mama when I got home and told her I loved her.

I chatted with her for a bit. She is *actively* involved in social media now that she has wifi, and told me all about her online adventures.  I ended the day with a smile.  I'm looking forward to going down for Easter.

No comments: