Saturday, March 23, 2013

A post in which I get some things done

It wasn't a lovely Saturday.  It was cold and overcast.  It would have been a great day to stay in, and I did stay in for most of the morning.  I ate my left-overs from dinner last night for breakfast (hush puppies are surprisingly good for breakfast - who knew?) and laid around the house.  I had a bad case of the 'don't-give-a-damns'.  I had brought home boxes on Friday, in the hopes that having the boxes in the house would motivate me to do some much-needed clearing out, but no dice. 

Eventually, though, I shamed myself into action.

I did some laundry.  I went to the grocery store and picked up a couple of fill-in items.  I didn't really need to go, but I did need to get motivated to get cleaned up and get out of the house for a bit.  I went to Petsmart for cat litter, which was the main focus of getting out.  I was completely out, and the situation needed to be seen to.  I came home and watched The Lorax while I ate lunch. 

RBL had a game night tonight.  Jake, Rhonda, and Brian came.  I stopped on the way to get something to drink, because RBL never have anything but diet soda.  When I got there though, it turns out that there was pretty much nothing to drink, and everyone kind of sucked down the 2-liter bottle I brought in with me.  For some reason, I found this disproportionately annoying.  I have no idea why.

Brian had gotten an iPad.  Jake brought his with him, and Billy (of course) already had one.  So they were all playing some game on iPads.  I was pretty annoyed.  There wasn't really any talk going on that didn't involve the iPads, and they were playing games together that they could have been playing across town from each other.  There didn't seem to be much point in getting together for this.

I got Russ out onto the porch to try to talk to him.  As I suspected, he is unhappy.  I feel so bad for him.  As it happened, just as he started to talk about it, dinner got there, and we finished up and went inside to eat.  When we went in to fix plates, they were all sitting at the table, playing with the fucking iPads while they ate.  Yes, I found that seriously annoying and rude at the same time, but this seems to be acceptable now.  In a causal setting, people in the same fucking room now apparently text and show other people things on their phones.  I ate my pizza and grumped to myself.  I've been vocal enough about this by this point that I feel that I'm going to make myself unwelcome if I say anything more about it. 

Eventually they put the pads away and we played a game or two.  Rhonda had arrived by that time.  It was a nice enough evening.  It was good to spend some time with the guys.  I wish I could have gotten a little more one-on-one time with Russ.  I need to set up something for just the two of us to do together.  I think he needs an outlet. 

No comments: