Sunday, March 31, 2013

A post in which it is Easter

I was up to get ready with Mom today.  We didn't have to hurry, but there was a lot to be done.  She was going to church, and since I was not going, I had been elected to take the lunch to Lisa's. 

Mom went off to hold a seat for Lisa (who was of course running late), and I got cleaned up and started packing the car.  Cole was working today, so we were holding lunch until he got home at 2:30.  That meant I was leaving from Lisa's house to head home.  Since I had to pack all my stuff, all the stuff Mom was sending home with me, and the lunch, I had put a list together to be sure I didn't forget anything. 

I got to Lisa's house without incident today, and got everything in and put away.  It wasn't long before they were home from church.  Lisa and Ava were ravenous because they hadn't had time for breakfast this morning, so I put together a tray of nibbles from stuff Mom had made while they changed. 

I had brought some movies that I thought Ava would enjoy, and one of them was a copy of Xanadu.  I
knew that Lisa had loved this movie as a child and thought Ava might too.  I hadn't realized how excited Lisa would be though.  I think part of it was that she had given up coffee for Lent, and had started back with a vengeance today - she was pretty hyped-up.  Ava, though initially enthusiastic, wasn't as excited as Lisa was when it actually got going.  The music numbers are entertaining (in a train wreck kind of way) but the movie itself is pretty awful.

After a while we put the casserole in the oven, and when Cole came in, Mama started making the moves to get lunch on the table.  Despite the list, one of the bags I had gotten out of the freezer was wrong, so we only had one bag of broccoli, but that was OK.  Lisa seemed to be pleased with the pasta salad, but Mom and I weren't much on it.  Still, Lisa packed me some to take home.  I figured I could doctor it up.

After lunch, we adjourned to the living room for a visit.  Cole had brought strawberries, cake, and whipped cream home for dessert. Eventually, Mom cut up and sugared the berries, but they needed time to sit, and I had already stayed later than I intended.  Ava had made a cake at the birthday party the day before, though, and I couldn't get away without eating a piece of it.  The cake itself really wasn't bad at all, but the icing was a deep and unnatural shade of teal blue; plus she had encrusted it with candies and colored marshmallows.  After eating a small piece, I bade my goodbyes.

There had been an accident on highway 26, of course, since it was raining by now.  I took a roundabout way out through the country to get around it, but I ran out of the rain and actually made pretty good time on the way home.

When I got in, there was plenty to do.  I unloaded the car and put a load of laundry in.  Then I started doing chores to get ready for the week.  There were the dishes I had left on Friday (no water), a three-day cat box to clean (yuck), and what with one thing and another I ended up spending the rest of the evening doing chores and trying to get ready for work in the morning.

By the time I was able to get in bed, I was ready to be there.

No comments: