Sunday, March 24, 2013

A post in which I am strangely out-of-sorts

I had a pretty busy day planned for today. 

I had set up the time for supper tonight before I left the boys' place last night.

I got up and made a lovely breakfast for myself: an omelet with shaved onions and mushrooms sauteed with fresh spinach, finished with swiss cheese.  A spinach and swiss cheese omelet is one of my favorite breakfasts.

Then I changed and washed the sheets, and got cleaned up.  I went to Aldi to get the things to finish up dinner tonight.  I bought Easter candy for Rhonda and Tony while I was there.

When I got home I planned everything out to take with me, moved a load of towels to the drier, and did two pieces of mending that had been waiting for months to be done.  I reflected that if I stopped chasing boys, I could rule the world.

Then I packed up the car and went to get Rhonda - who was late to her place because she had been out car-shopping with Tony and getting abused by him for doing it.  He seems to blame her for his financial issues, and gets angry at her when she tries to advise him. 

While I was waiting for Rhonda to finish getting ready, I called and talked to Mom about next weekend.  She's so excited, and has already started fussing about me coming.  I asked her not to, but she is already laying in tons of food for a two-day visit.  It's sweet that she loves me so much, but I wish she wouldn't put herself through such a flurry of preparation. 

We got to the boys' place right on time for Russ to leave.  I started in doing prep work for supper.  Although I had been looking forward to this all week, I was strangely out of sorts.  I started off by snapping at Logan for no good reason.  I have no idea why. 

But I managed to get myself to myself, and did an impromptu class for Logan and Rhonda on how to do a dump cake.  That was an eye-opener.  Logan fools around in the kitchen and doesn't take things seriously.  He also asks astounding questions for someone as smart as I know he is.  At one point, he and Rhonda were fooling around while he held a scalding-hot pot of fruit in one hand.  He then set the hot pan directly on the bar (fortunately it had cooled enough by that point not to damage the bar).  At another point, he and Rhonda were fooling around with a sharp knife.  You just don't do that.  Another time, I asked him to help by making salads.  I had already washed the lettuce.  He asked me "How do you make salad?"  When I finally realized he was serious, I just said "You rip up the lettuce and put it in bowls."  I have to put this through the filter of my own free-floating annoyance, but wow. 

Eventually Russ got back and I finished up supper.  The recipe I have is excellent, but this was the most I have ever made at one time.  My sauce didn't turn out to suit me, and I didn't make enough grits.  I was holding my tongue, but my bad mood couldn't help but put a pall on the meal. 

The boys cleaned up the kitchen, and we settled in for games.  Apparently at this point, there has to be a focus to keep everyone in the same room.  You can't just hang out or watch TV.  So we played.  Dessert turned out to be surprisingly good, and the evening ended on an up note.  But like many things in life, you build it up in your mind, and then find that it doesn't meet your expectations.  Still, it was a nice evening, and I'm glad I got to cook for them.  I wish my own contrariness hadn't affected that. 

No comments: