Friday, March 29, 2013

A post in which I head to Mama's*

I was up too early this morning.  Of course since I could sleep in, I was up on the dot of 6am.  I played around on the computer and on my phone for a while.  I didn't feel like getting up.  Eventually, my old friend John came over to see me for a bit.  He is a really nice guy, and we're both getting older and moving on with our lives.  After the main event, we talked about our families (his kids, my nephew) and stuff like that.  It's interesting to get to know him in a different way.

I futzed around and made some breakfast after he left.  I made a lovely scramble with swiss cheese, fresh tomatoes, and basil, which I ate with garlic toast.  I figured there was no point in dieting before I went to Mom's - she'll feed me the whole time I'm there.

After breakfast, I felt dozy, so I took a little nap.  I needed the sleep, and there was no hurry for me to get down there today.  When I woke up, I went to the bathroom, as you do, but when I flushed the toilet, there was no noise.  The water was off!!  I called the water company, who told me that there was work going on, and that the water would be off for four hours!! On Good Fiday.  There I sat, hair standing straight up, clothes stuck to me, teeth un-brushed, and dishes un-washed.  I was PISSED.  And the supervisor at the water company was too much of a wuss to even get on the phone and let me tell him off.  I sent an ugly email, and then called Mom.

She of course told me to just come on and shower there.  I brushed my teeth with bottled water, packed my clothes (thank goodness I had washed my pants last night), and cleaned the cat box into the trash.  After making liberal use of hand sanitizer and jamming a cap on my head, I headed for Columbia, feeling discombobulated and unkempt.

Mom was keeping Ava for the day, and when I got there I got the big welcome.  She's such a cute little thing.  I got cleaned up and we went out for Mexican at Casa Linda, which was just as good as I remembered.  Afterwards we went to Target to pick up a birthday present for Ava (who was going to a birthday party the next day) and a belt for me (I forgot it when I was packing).  After paying 26 freakin dollars for a belt, we headed back to Mom's place. 

They had church tonight (I had opted out), so I took them out to the church in Chapin, and dropped them off, then headed on to Lisa's house.  I took a wrong turn, and the GPS took me on a scenic tour of Chapin.  By the time I got to the house, there was little time to do much but look up the address of the place for dinner, and head out to meet them.  This time the GPS decided to take me on a scenic detour of it's own, and by the time I got to the restaurant they were already there (along with approximately half of the population of Chapin, SC).  We ate a Vella's tonight, and it was fine.  Nothing was burnt, and out waitress was nice. 

Cole is well-known in the town, and there were a bunch of kids from his school there.  He was completely oblivious to the attempts of girls to flirt/throw themselves at him.  It bothers me that his self-esteem is so bad that he doesn't think they could possibly be interested in him.  I wonder how much of his continued apparent disinterest in girls has to do with Lisa's tumultuous love-life, of which he has been a close-up witness and survivor. 

Ava's little friend Paris joined us for dinner.  She is a quiet and well-behaved child, who shone by comparison with Ava, who was pretty wild.  Paris is older too, I guess, which helps.  Neither one of them ate much, but then they're at that age.  Ava had astounded us today by eating most of her lunch with SALT talks or bribery. 

After supper we sent them on.  Lisa and the girls to their place for a sleep-over, and Cole high-tailing it to the hills to avoid the sleep-over. Can't really say that I blame him.

After dinner, Mom and I just headed back to her place.  We visited for a while, but I was wiped, and we had a big day planned for tomorrow.  I went on to bed after we checked the weather.

No comments: