Friday, May 17, 2013

A post in which things settle down a bit

Thank goodness! 

The day started pretty roughly.  I was up with brutal insomnia at about 2am.  I got online and Rhonda was up too. We made plans for dinner tonight.  I did eventually get back to sleep, but was in full REM sleep when the alarm went off.  That's always a rough start to the day.  I shook my head and got up to get ready for work, but it was at least twenty minutes before I stopped being all bleary-headed.

Work was thankfully quiet today.  The steady carpet-bombing of new account placements continues ($242k this month so far, and intimations of still more to come), but I was able to keep up.  Alan was out of the office, but took care to schedule the twit meeting for this afternoon via conference call.  I have no idea what is so important that it couldn't wait until next month, but he is the boss.  We took the call in his office, and it was  plain after the usual fifteen minutes or so that he was just asking questions to stay on the phone.  He seems homesick.  He is in Canada until the 28th, but I hardly thought he would miss the office.  Bosses. 

Rhonda sent a text at 4:57pm to cancel going to dinner.  Grrr.  I had packed a fun-time conversion kit and everything. 

Somewhat at loose ends, I finally decided to go to The Fresh Market and use my Christmas gift cards to pick up some gourmet nibbly things to treat myself.  It is, after all, Friday night.  I got the usual: some of their delicious salmon in dijon-dill sauce, some lovely orzo pasta salad (although not as good as the orzo salad at Adam's Bistro), some grape tomatoes, croustini, and their fantastic pimento cheese.   I usually get an almond pillow cookie for dessert, but they looked kind of flat tonight, so I got two toffee chocolate chip cookies instead - transcendentally good.   I may have a new favorite.

I ate supper with great relish when I got home, and then decided to call Miss Kat and Dana.  I hadn't been over there in a couple of weeks.  They were free, and I went over and had a nice visit.  So it turned out to be a nice evening after all.

No comments: