Sunday, May 19, 2013

A post in which it is a lazy Sunday*

I was up early again.  Too early.  I couldn't get back to sleep, and I didn't want to to bother Gary tossing and turning.  So I got up.  The cats refused to leave the bedroom (of course, because I wanted them out of there), so I just shut them in and found quiet things to do.

I got the Garmin that Dad and Eve gave me all updated, cleaned out the addresses, and put in some that I would use.  I balanced my checkbook.  I tried to decide what to do about breakfast.  I had sweet potatoes baked that had not as yet been assigned a purpose.  I also had lemon-oregano potatoes left from lunches last week.  So I could do sweet potato or potato pancakes.  Then I thought about those ramps.  I had cheese and farm fresh eggs I bought yesterday.  I decided to make a wanna-be quiche.  It's a recipe I've made for years. 

I went all the way across town to get a Marie Callerndar pie crust (becuase they're the best), but when I got to Publix it looked like a football team had stocked them - in the middle of a freakin' game.  Every single crust had been broken all to pieces.  So I had to settle for Pillsbury.  Grrr. 

I got home and chopped up my ramps.  I had looked them up online to see what to do to them, and what the flavor profile was like.  I sauteed them with a little butter and salt, and then hit the pan with some white wine to de-glaze it.  After considering, I decided to go with a mild cheddar (instead of the feta in the fridge) to be sure I didn't cover up the flavor of the ramps, which were the signature ingredient.  About the time I put the quiche in the oven, Gary got up and I made coffee.  We had coffee and chatted while the quiche baked, and then had breakfast while we watched re-runs of RuPaul's Drag Race.  After quiche, I made toast and we had baked apples (warmed up in the still-warm oven after the quiche came out) and my homemade peach preserves (I had made sure to have a jar out so he could try them).  Breakfast was a success - Gary really seemed to enjoy everything. 

I cleaned up the kitchen, and we lazed around the house until it was time to get ready to go to the movies.  We had decided to go see The Great Gatsby, and had looked up times earlier.  Sadly, it wasn't showing in Imax, but we did find a 3-D showing with no problem.  We had left it too late to have lunch, so we just went on to the theater and grabbed some snacks before going in. 

The movie was fantastic.  The costumes were gorgeous, the scenery was amazing.  Leonardo DiCaprio was excellent - he really gave a stellar performance.  Daisy, played by Carey Mulligan, was gorgeous and of course tragically flawed.  She was ethereally lovely, and so perfect for the clothes of the era you could almost not even notice her performance.  Those lovely, huge, golden hazel eyes were just pools of indecision and torment.  Her impossibly long neck was so graceful in the vintage-style frocks.  We agreed that the costume designer, Catherine Martin, most assuredly has an Oscar headed her way.  She'll be nominated for certain. 

After the movie, we kind of shook off the spell, and headed for supper at Monterrey.  It was a nice end to the weekend.  Gary has confessed to being smitten.  I'm a little worried that he had idealized me a bit too much, and put me on a pedestal that I'll surely fall from, but I really like him.   

Then we headed for the house.  He had to go home.  I was exhausted.  It had been a great weekend, but I hadn't gotten eough sleep Saturday night, and had been on the go most of the time. 

I tucked in with the Food Network Sunday night line-up and waited for the text from Gary that he was home safely.  It was raining yet again.  When I got the message that he was OK, I turned in, and was asleep in minutes. 

No comments: