Tuesday, May 14, 2013

A post in which I cook

I had been putting it off, but tonight I really needed to use up the rest of the stuff in my bunny basket.

I had originally intended to make curry, but this afternoon I started playing around with an idea for a garlic/lemon/butter glaze for veggies.  That sounded good, and it would go with the Greek-inspired potatoes I made last weekend.

I started by caramelizing some onions along with thinly sliced carrot (I have several pounds of huge carrots from the basket), and then added a couple of bell peppers (ditto).  To that I added the three big zucchini and a splash of soy sauce.  Then I put in two peeled and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (they must be good for something) and two enormous cloves of chopped big purple garlic.  Then I chopped up and added all the spinach, and poured white wine over all.  When it seemed done, I glazed it by melting a half-stick of butter in and then thickened with a cornstarch slurry.  It wasn't bad.  The apples didn't belong, though, and kind of threw off my flavor profile.  Usually a counter-note of sweetness is good, but this didn't work so well. 

That done, I packed up some lunches, and put the rest of the veggie medley in the freezer for next week.  So lunches are sorted for this week. 

By the time I got all that done it was almost eight o'clock.  I made an enormous salad for dinner of the end of a head of iceberg lettuce and the beginnings of a head of bib lettuce from the basket (which was quite dirty).  I topped that with some cut up cheese chunks I had in the fridge, some cherry tomatoes, yet more carrot, another peeled and cut Granny Smith (which worked better in the salad) and some croutons. 

I put the strawberries I had from Eve in to soak while I ate.  They were amazingly dirty.  Then I drained them and cleaned up the kitchen, before coring enough of them to take with lunch tomorrow.  I don't know where she got the berries, but they are really small ones.  I had hoped they would last until the weekend, but they are pretty far gone.  I'll have to eat them.

When all that was done, I collapsed on the sofa and sent Gary a text.  We ended up talking for almost an hour, which is very unusual for me.  He's coming to spend the night Saturday night, and he's off Sunday.  We're both looking forward to it immensely.  I explained why I didn't feel like talking last night, and he understood.  I wanted to put my best foot forward and not talk to him when I was grumpy, but he says I've already put my best foot forward.  He's such a nice guy. 

No comments: