Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A post in which the maintenance continues

All of my body parts seem to be due for an overhaul at the same time.  Today I had my teeth cleaned.  My dentist is super nice, and my hygienist Joanne treats me like a pet.  In short order, she had me cleaned, inspected, and on the way with a smile on my face. 

I schedule my cleanings for late in the day, and then just go home from there.  It's one day that I don't have to fight the insane traffic in the Pelham/Woodruff Road area at rush hour.  Usually, its a nice relaxing afternoon off, but since it has been monsoon raining for about 150 days, I had to get out an mow the grass while there was a brief respite from the constant downpours.  I read today that even Lake Hartwell is almost full, and I don't know what will  happen when that finishes up.  It hasn't been full in years and years. 

Before I went home to toil though, I went by the library to turn in my over-due book, pay the fines, and get some stuff out.  I got a new book on CD to listen to in the car.  I used to listen to more of them, but NPR has (finally) realized that people want to hear the news in the morning, and a lot of times now I listen to the news on the way in to work.  I can't stand stupid am radio bibble-babble.  I also got a new book, and some DVDs.  I got Gypsy.  I've been wanting to see it since I saw Nancy in the stage version the other week, plus it's one of Gary's favorite movies, and he quotes it pretty often.  I also picked up some collections of Waiting for God, a great BBC series that I used to watch years ago.  That show takes me back to good times spent with my friends Michael and Terry watching it.  Those are happy memories. 

I was prepared with the replacement bolt to fix the mower, but saw no point in doing it until the one that kept coming off actually came off.  About half-way through the front yard, it started getting loose, so I stopped to finish the job.  Just to be contrary, the bolt that came off 87 times the week before refused to come off today.  I sure wasn't going back in the house for tools to do it.  I finished mowing the grass with the bolt loose, but refusing to let go.  It stopped raining yesterday morning, and the grass was just dry enough to mow, but the ground was spongy.  In places in the back yard, it was still wet underneath when the dry top was cut off, but I got it all done.  That frees me up a bit on Saturday so I don't have to worry about doing it then.  Of course with all this water it will shoot right up again.  I really need to coordinate borrowing one of the boys from Kimbley and Laura to keep up with this.  It doesn't take as long as I remember, but I really hate doing it.

That finished, I headed inside for a shower and collapsed on the couch.  I had a burrito for supper and watched some of the Waiting for God DVDs I got from the library today.

I heard from Gary.  It looks like big wigs are coming into town where he works, and he may not get his day off.  That sucks.  He works in retail, so I'm gonna hate his schedule, but he's worth working with on that.  Hopefully we'll find some way to make it work.

No comments: