Saturday, May 11, 2013

A post in which it is the weekend*

So when I woke up it was Saturday.  Although I was glad it is the weekend, really this is laid out to be a less than stellar one. I basically had chores to do all day, and then tomorrow is Mother's Day stuff all day.  Sigh.  I hate being a grown-up.

I ate my left-overs from supper last night for breakfast, and then got to work.

I made the cucumbers from my bunny box into Korean refrigerator pickles.  Eve loves those, and since I had no idea what to get her for Mother's Day, I just decided to take her the pickles, which she loves.  I got a thank you card from her for her birthday present today.  In a way, it was nice, but in a way it was odd and sad.  First, you don't send thank you cards to immediate family, and the fact that she felt the need to do it was kind of inherently sad, but secondly I just got her a gift card.  I mean, I tried to make it a bit more personal by getting it from Swoozies, but as presents go it was a pretty poor showing, which makes it sadder to me that she was so glad of it.  I don't know, I guess that's an odd way to feel.  It was a cute card, and I'm glad she realizes that I do try. 

I started doing laundry.  I had to have my super-fatty-fat-fat jeans clean to wear tomorrow.  I am NOT wearing work pants, and sitting in a car for 6+ hours in my other jeans would be torture.  So I got that done and changed the sheets. 

I  made the potatoes from the basket into Greek-style potatoes, but they didn't turn out so well because they were baking potatoes, and so really not suited to that recipe.  But they didn't burn.  They'll be edible.  I'll just have to put a bunch of butter or something on them because they'll be dry.  But I could make some kind of sauce to go over them, or I could mash them to top the shepherd's pie in the fridge, or I could make them into potato pancakes... With potatoes there are just a lot of options.

I changed my sheets.  I surfed around on my phone some, and Frank ended up coming over for a while.  He's always fun, and he's a nice guy.  I found out today that his dad has cancer.  He is understandably upset. The prognosis doesn't sound great.  I listened and tried to be supportive.

After he left I got cleaned up and finally planned to leave the house.  I had errands to run, and wanted to get some supper.  I called Rhonda, but she had already eaten.  That meant dinner on my own.  I loaded up the car and headed out.  I dropped off the recycling, and then called Rhonda about dropping by.  I had decided to leave the rest of the Korean pickles for the boys for when they got home.  Eve wouldn't have eaten them all, and they're Billy's favorite. 

When I got to the house, Rhonda said she would ride with me if I wanted to go to supper, so we went to Irashiai.  I had been craving sushi all week, and hadn't gotten to go with Gary last night as planned.  After supper we went to Wal-Mart.  I take my last blood pressure pill tomorrow, and really needed to get them re-filled, but by the time we got there the pharmacy was closed.  I picked up some other things, and we looked at shoes, but I didn't find any I liked.  I picked up some of the new Magnum Gold ice cream bars.
Now the Magnum ice cream bars are the best I have ever tasted.  They have done a HUGE ad campaign about these new gold ones, but I found them pretty disappointing compared to the other flavors.  Still, Rhonda loves ice cream, and had never tried the Magnums before.  And the worst Magnum is still pretty damn good.  So we munched our bars and watched Kathy Griffin on cable.   

When I got home, my disc with my pictures from Sean and Eddie had come in the mail today.  I threw them into the computer and messed around with them for a while.  I finally got the hang of the crop tool, and I put some of them up on Facebook, but I had to go to bed.  Tomorrow is going to be a very long day. 

No comments: