Saturday, May 4, 2013

A post in which it is a very nice Saturday*

I was supposed to meet a local guy for breakfast today, but he backed out.  I've been talking to him online for a while, but things just never seem to work out.  I wasn't terrifically upset about it though.  I have a date tomorrow, and he kind of put me on the spot last night.

I was, however, RAVENOUS.  My inadequate junk food repast last night had left me just about to die for a pecan waffle from Waffle House.  Don't judge me.  They are delectable, and have made Saveur's list of '100 Things We Love About the South'.  I called Rhonda.  If she's up, she'll usually go to breakfast with me.  I'm like Mom in that I love to have breakfast out, but don't like to do that by myself.

Rhonda was up, but she was out and about.  She had commandeered Tony's car for the day because the summer downtown 'Farmer's Market' started today.  It's something they have started doing, and it is a way to buy local produce, but it's pretty yuppified, and the prices are pretty high.  Still, you can buy heirloom tomatoes there, and other stuff from around here.  We agreed to meet downtown.

The problem was that the weather was just NOT cooperating.  Our ridiculously extended cold wet spring continues.  I just don't see the end of it.  I got ready, walked outside, sighed, and went resolutely back for a jacket.  I wasn't even sure that would be enough.  But I headed downtown and met Rhondee, who was in full buzz.  Despite the cool overcast weather, she was having a time.  She had already purchased a fig tree, and wanted some honey.  She got hooked on local honey last year.  We walked around a bit, but I had my heart set on Billy Mushroom pasta this week, and I didn't see any mushrooms.  Plus, I was starving.  Since it wasn't exactly weather that made strolling around downtown a pleasure, we soon headed for the Waffle House.  Before we left, though, I gave Rhonda the searcies I had picked up for her at the beach, which she really seemed to like.

We went to the fancy Waffle House on Stone Avenue today.  At the time it was built there was a big kerfuffle about it by the homeowners on North Main Street, who tried to get an injunction against it being opened.  They claimed that it would attract the 'wrong element' (i.e. poor people) to the North Main area.  But they eventually opened despite all, and the place was doing a booming business today.  In short order (ba dum bum) we had pecan waffles in front of us, and tucked in.  While we ate, I caught Rhonda up on the beach trip, and she caught me up on her stuff.  Apparently her focus on fresh fruit, local produce, and non-GMO foods is really working for her.  With her doctor's supervision, she has discontinued almost all of her medications.  As a brittle diabetic, she has been able to go off her insulin, and her numbers are all fine.  She is healthier than she has been in years - perhaps in her whole life! And good for her!!  I'm excited for her. 

She also informed me that she would be at the Red Party tonight.  That is THE Place To Be Seen tonight, and apparently everyone who is anyone will be there, including Rhonda and (quite uncharacteristically) Sabrina.  They are going with a group of friends.  I know the boys will be there too - they were planning what they would wear last week.  I know it's a good cause and all, but it's expensive to go, and the idea of yet another event that requires themed dress-up clothes frankly leaves me cold.  It's one of those things that Simply Everyone is doing that I really don't have any desire to do. 

Fortunately, I had a text from Nicole today.  She was free tonight and wanted to know if I was.  I had planned to just stay in and hermit tonight.  I have a date tomorrow, and since David hasn't been to the house in three weeks, there are some things that have to be done before I can have company in - especially a potential husband.  Plus I wanted to get all my regular chores done so I could play tomorrow.  But I haven't seen Nicole in a while.  Plus she is always good company.  So I told her we would have dinner tonight. 

Making plans with her kind of moved my whole day into overdrive.  I dropped Rhonda at her car, and headed home to see if I could squeeze in a nap, which I needed.  Well I didn't do that, although I did work in a buddy visit. Afterwards, I headed for Aldi for produce.

I found some beautiful mushrooms for $1.50 a pint (as opposed to $2.50 a pint at the store, even on sale) and headed home to start cooking.  I made Billy Mushrooms (browned in butter, then de-glazed with white wine, then soy sauce, then lemon juice, adding thyme and garlic along the way - scrumptious!), then added them to a cream sauce and mixed with pasta.  Gorgeous lunches for next week. 

I cleaned up the kitchen and straightened up the house before getting ready to go to dinner with Nicole.  I actually ended up ready early, and had some time to relax on the sofa with a Glee marathon before she got there.

Dinner tonight was at The Melting Pot.  I hadn't been there in years, and had been craving fondue lately.  Nicole used to work there, so she knew exactly what to order.  The service was excellent, the meal was delicious, and Nicole is great company.  We had a lovely dinner, and she came back to the house to visit for a bit to top off the evening.  Despite the rain, it was lovely. 

No comments: