Friday, May 24, 2013

A post in which I go in for the test*

Of course I couldn't sleep.  I was up around 3:30am, and around 4am I just gave up and got out of bed.  I threw the beets in the oven, balanced my check book, and fooled around on line.  It was one of those times where it seems like there are just acres of time in front of you, and then suddenly it's almost time and you're going to be late.  When I got out of the shower I had to hustle to make my appointment, but I ran to the store and picked up some whipped cream first. 

When I got to the PET Scan place, it smelled just as bad as I remembered; but it wasn't as strong, because I'm not as sensitive to it now.  I was the first one there, and the guy that checked me in was just dreamy.  He was in his 20s, had curly dark hair, and ice blue eyes.  I was just standing there, being glad for a socially acceptable excuse to look at him, which I did the entire time he was checking me in. 

They came up for me pretty quickly, gave me the injection, and left me in the room.  I had worn shorts, but it had turned off cool overnight, so the guy brought me a blanket.  The nurse who was doing the procedure was very nice.  I think he was gay, but I'm not sure.  I told him it scared me to death to come in there after treatment and all, but he mistakenly thought I was afraid of the test itself.  He was very reassuring, but of course I have had several PET scans now.  It isn't the test that is scary - its the results.  I guess because I had been so keyed up and worried, once I was actually there, I slept for the hour I had to wait before they did the test. 

I had worn soccer shorts this morning because you can't wear anything with buttons or zippers to take the test in.  The problem is that they don't cover very much.  Since you have to lay still for about a half hour, your mind wanders.  This morning I started thinking about sex during the test, and came out of the scan machine, feet first, with a big ole hard-on!  That was embarrassing enough, but of course the nurse taking me out of the machine was a woman!  I just grabbed my backpack as soon as I could and held it in front of me. 

And thank goodness the test was over.  I could immediately employ my power of Southern Denial, and went out for breakfast.  I went to K&S for pancakes and eggs, and afterwards met a buddy at the house for a quick visit before I went on in to the office. 

I took one of the sweet potato pies I made in to the girls.  I was going to take one to Rhonda and Tony, but Gary told me he loves sweet potato pie, so I kept one at the house for him.  Of course the pie was eaten, and I gave out the recipe repeatedly.  I ate a piece as much to get the whipped cream off it as anything else.  I make that for other people.

And then it was time to go.  I got most of the write-offs I needed to do done, but found that I didn't have all the documentation I needed to do two of them.  I sent off emails asking for it, but that was all I could do on those cases.

***

I had set up to take Rhonda out tonight, and checked in with her before I left the office.  She was a go.  I took her to see Epic tonight.  When I saw the promos, I knew she would love it.  Beyonce played the fairy
queen, and it was all about fairies and boggins. They wore little flowers for hats and stuff, and it was just cute as it could be - right up Rhonda's alley.  We saw it in 3D, munched popcorn, and she really seemed to enjoy it.  Parts of it stretched a little long for me (notably the finale, which went on for a very long time), but it was pretty good.

Afterwards we went for a late supper at Red Robin.  I just love their food.  Despite the lateness of the hour, our service was wonderful.  Rhonda ordered one of their fantastic salted caramel milkshakes.  I had thought I would get the end of it (they're pretty big), but she drank every drop!  I think that is the fastest I have ever seen her eat anything, and I was very amused.

It was a nice evening, and good to spend some time with my best girl. 

No comments: