Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A post in which it is a quiet day

More so than usual.  I forgot my phone charger and my phone was going dead.  I debated driving home on my lunch hour to get it, and then thought that was absolutely ridiculous.  Have I become such a pad person that I can't go a day off the grid?  Sitting behind a freakin' computer??  So I turned off my phone and got on with it.

I didn't have a  very busy day, and Alan left for the rest of the week (after telling me the twit meeting is scheduled for Friday, and that we would do it by phone for pete's sake), so it was a fairly quiet afternoon.

I broke down and spent some money that I really didn't want to spend, but which needed to be spent.  My feet give me so many problems that about the only shoes I can wear in any real comfort are either Crocs or running shoes.  I can get by with others if I put in the plantar faciitis pads I bought, but in general if I want to wear pretty shoes, there is a price to be paid for it.  It's a price I am increasingly disinclined to pay.

I bought another pair of fake Crocs at the beach (after a good bit of searching), but they don't fit.  Logan had made a good point at the time.  If I'm going to wear them practically all the time (which when I'm in the house I do), perhaps I should just go ahead and plunk down the $30+ dollars for the real thing.  I have been on eBay searching for some more fakes, and found them, but some of them aren't as cushlony as the real ones, and of course I won't know until I get them.  If I could buy more like the ones I have it would be fine, but a lot of the knock-offs I found at the beach were not as comfortable as the ones I have now.

Apparently Crocs has been diligent in protecting their copyright, and they have the market pretty much cornered on ridiculously priced rubber clogs.  I went online looking for an 'outlet' type site, and was directed back to the official Crocs website.  I was nosing around there in the sale section, and found this pair of shoes on sale.  They are ugly, but they aren't as ugly as the clogs, and if they are super comfortable they'll be well worth $30 (I can hardly buy decent shoes for that), and will solve my 'Friday casual shoe' dilemma.  At least they appear to be actual shoes.  I ordered a pair.  I'll give them a shot.  The only thing that really concerns me is the high heel piece.  I can't wear Adidas shoes because the high heel piece kills my achilles tendon.  I guess I'll find out when they get here.  Of course this is less about vanity (although there is a generous unhealthy portion of vanity to be sure) and more about the continued post-chemo/age concessions.  I feel that treatment has prematurely made an old man of me, and I'm not happy about it.  But then I remember that I'm alive, and some small concessions seem to be a small price to pay.  It makes me feel ungrateful.  It's just a difficult adjustment for someone who loves shoes as much as I do to make.

While I was compromising, I found the 'classic' (classically ugly, they don't say) clogs on sale (though still quite ridiculously expensive) on Amazon and ordered a pair.  Although I've worn my fake ones for years, this will be the first pair of real Crocs I've ever donned.  Even on 'sale' they came to $25.60, which is just highway robbery for a pair of hideous rubber clogs, but if you have to have them to walk, what are you to do?  You suck it up and pay it.  Which is what they're counting on.  Never mind that they're injection molding them out for a nickle a pair, and causing a great share of human misery (although from what I can find they're trying, and no worse than any other company that has third-world production plants) to the bargain.  Apparently I'm a typical American, and have decided that the suffering of others is preferable to my own.  They do allow me to stay on me feet with much less pain, which is crucial for me now. 

I ate my veggie medley for lunch, and if it hadn't particularly improved by sitting overnight (as things with garlic sometimes do) it wasn't any worse.  Meh.

After work I debated going home to cut grass for about a minute and half before deciding to put it off.  I hate doing that.  I went by Aldi for fill-in groceries, and picked up a few little nibbly things for the weekend, just in case Gary and I don't feel like going out but want a little nosh.

I made another big salad for dinner, and then realized half-way through that I had forgotten to put the apple in.  After supper I hulled the rest of the tiny strawberries so that I could take them with lunch tomorrow.  I watched TV until bed.  I didn't hear from Gary, but he was closing tonight.     

No comments: