Sunday, May 6, 2012

A post in which we head for home

When I woke up this morning I was actually pretty glad I went on to bed last night.  It's been a great trip, but we have a long ride home today.  But first, there were things to do.  I packed most of my clothes, and then got a text from Eddie and Sean, telling me that they were up.  I went up to their room with amorous intent, but we ended up going through the pics.  They hadn't gotten them edited yet, but they got some really nice shots, and we discussed cropping, backgrounds, etc. before I bid them a fond farewell.

I got downstairs in the midst of the boys breaking camp fairly aggressively.  We got the car packed and were out to get some lunch in fairly record time.  I wanted some calabash today.  I had not eaten a single piece of seafood on this trip, and wanted some before we headed home.  We ended up joining some folks Russ and Billy knew at a place called Dirty Don's Oyster Bar.  Although the staff was very friendly, the food was only so-so, and I really wouldn't recommend it.  But I was starving, nothing was burnt, and it filled the hole.  After I had an oyster po boy, I ordered some clam strips and ended up eating two lunches.  I figured it all balanced out since I hadn't had any breakfast, right? 

After lunch, we headed home.  But Russ wasn't feeling good.  The combination of all the drinking and the rich food wasn't sitting well, plus he slept had slepot poorly last night.  I knew he was feeling bad when he asked if I would drive.  In all the years I have known him, that has never happened. 

So I drove back.  It wasn't too bad.  It's not as if I haven't done it before.  We had a book on CD, and stopped for Arby's jamocha milkshakes in Columbia (my official road trip treat).  We got home around 7pm or so, divided up the stuff, and I headed home.  Rhonda had already cleared out (which vaguely worried me) but she left a note saying that we would talk soon.  I was too tired to worry very much.

I got to my place and spent the evening unpacking and getting ready for the week to begin.  The boys have the day off tomorrow, but I don't.  I hung my wind chimes, put away the left over snacks, put my new clothes in to wash, and had a small supper.  It all starts over in the morning.  It was great to get away though, and I had a lovely time with treasured friends.  It's hard to ask for more than that.

No comments: