Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A post in which I am laying groundwork

for a trip to my Mom's this weekend.

I started the day with yet another doctor's appointment, where they wanted my blood yet again.  My veins are pretty much on strike after chemo, and it's hard to get blood out of me now.  Today they had to take it out of my hands, and it took two tries.  So I showed up at work with big cotton balls (kind of) band-aided to both hands.  There is a wave of inferior band-aids sweeping the medical community here for some reason, and they peel off like you were made to Teflon.

I did get my paperwork in and got my write-offs completed, but my boss was too busy to get them back to me, so they'll have to go to California next week anyway.  The CFO left today.  Oh well.  Nothing unusual there.  I was trying to be Johnny-on-the-spot, but they had bigger fish to fry this week.  I hope it isn't another acquisition.

Tonight I got to go home!  I have plenty of food in the fridge (indeed, too much since I will be at Mom's this weekend), and had no major errands to run.  I did go by the library and pick up a book I had ordered that came in.  I also picked up a new book on CD for the trip, but that took moments.  Well it should have taken moments.  There was one librarian on duty at the desk, and the woman in front of me had 87 things to check out, overdue fees, and a bunch of questions she wanted to ask the librarian.  And the CD book I had wouldn't work on you-scan.  So I waited.  And waited.  Eventually another librarian took pity on us and checked everyone else out.  When I left, that one woman was still standing there.  It just seems to be my luck.  Either that or the world is going to the CVS 'eternal wait' organizational model.

I had done several loads of wash on Monday, but I did have one of clothes to put in tonight.  I'm planning to pack tomorrow.  I'm not feeling quite so tired this week, so I may go on to Columbia Friday night to get a head-start on my weekend with Mom.  I found out today that Rod won't be there.  That's great, because although I like him just fine, it's hard to do marathon shopping (one of the reasons for the trip) with him because of his motility issues, and he does tend to bogart the TV to the Military Channel.  Like all the time.

I ate my enormous Mexican meal that Eve packed for me last night, along with a small bowl of guacamole I made from one of the beautiful avocados I bought last weekend.  It was great, but I ate too much.  I really should have split it into two meals, but I rationalized that I was leaving town for the weekend and needed to clean out the fridge.  Therefore, pig out.  Geez I wonder why I'm gaining weight...

Dad, convalescing in style on the new screen porch

No comments: