Thursday, May 24, 2012

A post in which I get some things done, inadvertently

I was up at 5am with insomnia this morning anyway, so I decided to at least have pro-active insomnia and get some stuff done.  There are like 1.5 million little niggling aggravating things that need doing around the house which I have putting off for weeks.  Things are about at critical mass.  Since David is coming tomorrow, I needed to get the basket o' mystery cleaned out.  I also needed to put away my shoes.  He has a thing about it, and they do really not need to be all over my bedroom floor.

I have a basket on the end of my bar where pretty much everything in the Western world waits for me to feel like dealing with it: incoming mail, shopping lists, surveys, etc.  I had tried to make myself do it a couple of weeks ago and hadn't been able to apply myself.  I hate going through it.  But I did this morning, finding (again) a check from the hospital.  It was only for $25 but was a little over 6 months old.  Even though most commercial checks are only viable for 6 months, I decided to deposit it anyway because I wasn't going to throw it away.

I also got all the get well/Valentine's/etc cards out of the living room.  They've been all over the place for months, but it's time to do the ole greet 'n toss.  For now, it was enough to gather them into a central location. 

On the way into the office I stopped at CVS, was helped immediately (hosanna!) due to the ungodliness of the hour, picked up my prescriptions, did a review, and made alterations to the auto-fill list.  I went by the bank and deposited the old check.  I still made it to work early too. 

I did my work, and had some time - things were slow today.  I chatted some more with a coupla guys.  Trent (the young 'un) seems to have some serious self esteem issues.  And no car.  And no job.  Sigh.  He lives in Charlotte.  Chris, who I've been talking to for several weeks, is still in school (he graduates in December), lives 5.5 hours away, and last night via Skype revealed a serious jealous side and a troubling propensity for violence.  Maybe that's why I'm still single - everyone just seems like so much WORK.  Another guy named Bob sounds more promising.  He's interviewing for jobs in the area, although he currently doesn't live here.  We have a lot of interests and opinions in common, and he sounds nice.  So maybe that will work out.  But he likes to hike (yerg - I guess I could do it if I had to), and is in a lot better shape than I am.  I dunno how he's gonna feel about the Great White Goddess when we actually meet.

After work I headed home for hot dogs.  There were other things that had to be done though.  Crooner, in another act of their continued assault on my sanity, decided that the garden window over the kitchen sink was his new resting place of choice last weekend.  So he pushed all the glass around, made a place to lay, and proceeded to spread the whole window with cat schmutz and filth.  That had to be addressed.  So I took all the glass out of the window, washed it (somehow he had gotten Croonerfilth down in glasses and stuff), cleaned the window, and put it all back in.  Hopefully I've gotten the message across that this is NOT  a good place for him to lay.  I haven't caught him up there lately.

I also had to clean Jinx's hairballs up.  I thought that had stopped, but the shedding season is upon us.

After that, I deemed the house ready for the cleaner to come.  I could hear Dad in my head speaking disparagingly about cleaning up for the cleaners to come, but I would have been embarrassed for David to see the state of the place the way it has been this week. 

I purposely did not turn on the computer tonight.  I had to turn in early because that stupid quarterly meeting is tomorrow, of all days.  Not only a Friday, but the last day before a three-day weekend.  This is the day they choose to drag us out of bed early (we have to be there a half hour earlier than usual) and subject us to an hour of numbers and status that mean absolutely nothing to most of the people there.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to know what's going on with the company, but don't get me up early to tell me about it. 

I did make it to bed on time, and drifted off with Sweet Genius in the background. 

No comments: